Rx Bandits unplug at Fingerprints

Rx Bandits settled into Long Beach’s intimate local record store, Fingerprints, to give fans a free, acoustic show on Sunday afternoon.

They promoted their latest album, “Gemini, Her Majesty,“ which was released late July.

Their latest album 13-track album is a follow-up to 2009’s “Mandala.”

Original members from the band have departed, and the band’s previous sound established the group in ska, punk and reggae; these Rx Bandits labels expired when “Majesty’” traded punk for a more sophisticated sound.

Fingerprints owner Rand Foster christened the modest foot-high stage, in front of the trademark backdrop of bare bricks and disheveled books. “It’s an honor to have a national band here,” he said, portraying a genuine excitement for the Rx Bandits presence.

Merchandise and CD racks were shoved aside to make way for the full room. Fans seemed patient, yet eager, in a calm, yet exciting, atmosphere.

The four-piece group strummed headfirst into fan favorite “Stargazer.”

“Only For the Night” rattled the vibes of the room into a seductive chord progression, the hard-lead guitar driving the melody in small, quick segments, while the rhythm guitar relaxed in the background, hinting at Spanish influences.

Frontman Matt Embree instigated some fun, playfully deepening his voice pre-chorus, just as the time signature switched in “1995.” The band revisited earlier works and played “Decrescendo.”

Embree belted the first few lines of “Wide Open.” Drummer Christopher Tsagakis kept the beat, tapping wire brushes as Embree explored vocal ranges from gentle falsetto to stronger inflections with attitude.

Alternating time-signatures, syncopation and shifting key tonality tied together the set’s flawless instrumentation.

The set covered six songs, and the performance lasted no longer than an hour.

“It was hot, but the band was amazing,” said Christina Ramirez, long-time fan from Long Beach. “I’ve been listening to them for 10 years; it’s weird to even think about now.”

Audience member Brian Luhmann grew up in Virginia listening to west coast Rx Bandits on the east coast. He said he has seen them at least seven times and enjoys the progressive, multi-layered sophistication in their music that continues to cross genres.

He said he enjoys the new album’s mature sounds. “It’s really showing what they can do [and] going that extra step in production,” said Lumann.

Their nation-wide tour, supported by Deerhunter and From Indian Lakes, started on the east coast and ended in Long Beach.