The Queen Mary turns 80

The Queen Mary’s 80th anniversary was celebrated aboard the Queen with displays, singing, dancing and a 20-foot long cake of a replica of the ship.

The Grand Ballroom was decorated with balloons and artwork, including oil paintings of the Queen Mary.

Everette Hoard, commodore of the ship, read celebration letters originally read by King George V at the ship’s launch on Sept. 26, 1934. Hoard also read a message from Queen Elizabeth II.

“The Queen Mary is the most recognizable icon in Long Beach,” Hoard said. “It is eminent, and has the finest interior out of any ship in the world.  It is beautiful and inspiring.  It is proof that order can come from turmoil because she rose like a phoenix from the ashes of the Great Depression.”

Jose Barajas, a baker who was featured on TLC’s Next Great Baker, was responsible for the replica cake of the Queen Mary.

Christine Milligan, an attendee from Anaheim, enjoys making cakes and said she decided to come after hearing about the cake replica.

“I like hearing about the history [of the Queen Mary], the music, the clothes and the atmosphere,” she said.

Christine Jackson, an attendee from Bellflower, said he was excited to see what the anniversary had to offer.

“I like everything in this room, including the big crowd and the artwork displayed,” Jackson said.

A video of the Queen Mary’s history featured June Allen, a British war bride who said in the video that she loves the Queen Mary because it has souls of living beings and it has always been a part of her life.

John Jenkins, the general manager of the Queen Mary from Long Beach, said the Queen Mary is one of a kind.

“It is a unique venue and place to work at, and I like how there is something different every day,” Jenkins said.  “There are always different attractions and events and a diverse customer base.”

Will Kayne, the captain of the Queen Mary and archivist for the ship from Los Angeles said the ship is an icon and international historic treasure.

“The woodwork is my favorite,” he said.  “There are 56 different type of wood veneers used in the interior decoration of the ship.  Six types of woods are extinct today.”
At the end of the event there were women in red costumes dancing and singing about the Queen Mary.

Jenkins made an announcement that there are plans to convert 65,000 square feet into a museum that will incorporate a science and learning center.