Clowning around downtown

Four Clowns partnered with the Art Council for Long Beach on Sunday to conduct a clowning workshop; the event taught physical theater and basic clowning techniques with the help of dance and music.

Four Clowns is a Los Angeles company that tours nationally and is five years old, Kevin Klein, a member of the clowning troupe said.

Physical theater, dance, music and emotional performances are all elements the group used as they portrayed humanity at the event.

On stage, the members taught basic clowning techniques to around 20 people. The techniques included stretching, swift body and hand movements and sounds.

The workshop showed attendees how to mimic physical face slaps.

Jeremy Aluma, the artistic director of Four Clowns said the group currently trains 12 students in the art of clowning.

“Theater clowning is about connecting and sharing emotional experiences with the audience,” Aluma said.  “When interacting with the audience, there’s a risk there, and they feel that energy because they know that anything can happen at any moment.”

He also said that the actors enjoy interacting with the audience, creating a communal experience.

Klein said the goal of the group is to present physical entertaining theater that will make people laugh.

“It’s a chance for me to be creative,” Klein said.  “The way you interact with the audience can be complicated and touch on heavy emotions.”

Klein said his favorite part of clowning is the freeing experience.

Participants at the event were able to create multi-colored weaves. There were also booths with paint for children’s activities and crafts.

Montana Bull, a theatre major at CSULB, said the event was a lot of fun.

“I like being able to create something out of something that’s not there and being able to put myself in different situations and live truthfully with that,” Bull said.  “I like to make art with my peers; [that’s what] I love more than anything else.”

Aluma who is also a CSULB alumni from the class of 2006, said he created and directed a play called Ubu the Sh-t that will feature members of Four Clowns. The production will open Nov. 21 and run through Dec. 7 at the CSULB Studio Theatre.