Dark Harbor haunts Queen Mary

The haunted history of the Queen Mary will come to life at the annual Dark Harbor Halloween season event.

Monsters, mazes, rides, attractions, food and other live entertainment such as DJ’s and bands will perform at the Queen Mary on selected nights from Oct. 2 to Nov. 2.

New attractions this year include three mazes: Voodoo Village, Soulmate and B340.

Two of the new mazes are inspired by real events, according to a press release from the Queen Mary.

The Soulmate maze tells the story of Graceful Gale, the belle of The Queen Mary in the 1930s who one day just vanished.

The B340 maze is based on the tale of schizophrenic Samuel the Savage who was locked in room B340 and was found torn apart in 1948.

Voodoo Village will feature magic gypsies that will entertain guests in a place surrounded with voodoo dolls and shrunken heads.

A new feature called Exclusive Encounters will take Dark Harbor guests on a ghost tour of the ship.

Mary Jreisat, a senior majoring in civil engineering has attended Dark Harbor in the past. She said she thought the attractions were a bit horrifying.

“There was a huge pitch-black maze with monsters running around and scaring me,” she said.  “I also walked into the bottom of a boat, where a group picture was taken in the front, and we were scared by monsters inside.”

Erika Pulido, a senior majoring in nutrition at Cal State Long Beach said she liked learning about the history of the ship while attending Dark Harbor in years past.

“Being inside of the boat was my favorite, and I thought it was creepy and fun,” Pulido said.

Annie George, a sophomore majoring in marketing said the event provides a balance that is right for thrill seekers.

“I thought it was a good amount of scariness, and it wasn’t too scary,” George said. “I might go again.”

In addition to the new mazes, guest will be able to maneuver around Deadrise, Submerged and Circus, attractions populated by more than 200 monsters. The Queen Mary will feature a total of six haunted mazes.

Tickets are $20 online, and general admission starts at $24. Season passes are available for $60, and allow general admission access to most dates. Season passes also include a Fast Fright pass, which will allow guests to cut to the front of the line.

Costumes without masks will only be allowed on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 and 2. On these dates costume contests will be held on the Queen Mary in which guests can win a cash price. Attendees must be registered before entering. The link for the registration form is available on the Queen Mary’s website.