Third Eye’s vision

Fourth Street has always had a hip and creative reputation; shops that all share an the eclectic theme of the area, Third Eye Records is one of the few stores around that still deals mostly in vinyl records.

This record shop has had an extensive history in Southern California. Gary Farley, owner of the shop, first opened in Costa Mesa in 2002, and Third Eye eventually found a new home in Long Beach.

“I’ve been collecting records for a little over 20 years, so part of it was a necessity by having way too much of my own collection,” Farley said. “I didn’t have room, and there was no way I could play all of it, so I figured might as well open a store”

He said the only way to describe the experience was like a “childhood dream to own a record shop.”

Located at 2701 E. Fourth Street, the record shop specializes in carrying rare and hard to find releases.

The shop also buys used records from costumers, and has a wide selection of used records on sale for discounted prices.

Complete with eccentric music decor that covers every inch of wall space and a “worn and torn” feel that reflects the vintage vinyls that they sell, this record shop encapsulated the energy of the music it sells.

Farley also mentioned that it tends to steer closer to the more independent labels and lesser-known bands of said genres.

There is a little bit for everyone and everybody, regardless of their music tastes.

“When I come here, I usually come to get rockabilly records,” Jayan Patel, a self-declared regular of Third Eye Records, said.

Along with promoting lesser-known music through sales, Farley said the store also helps to serve as a venue for local and touring acts to play their music live. ‘

“I’ve had one man bands play in here, I’ve had experimental Jazz … typically, its local bands… but its a little bit of everything and that’s kind of how I want to keep it.”          Along with helping local bands find a place to play, the store also helps to distribute their records.

The store is primarily focused on vinyl, but it does have a few CD’s from local bands who can’t afford to print their music onto records.

Gary said that at the end of the day, the store is simply a place for music lovers to appreciate music.

“I went into it for two reasons, one being my love of music,” said Farley. “Two, to have another place for people to go to find music.”