Giving ‘Home’ the cold shoulder

Cold War Kids have returned with their fifth studio release titled “Hold My Home,” but they have yet to return to their original sound.

The band has called many places their home since their debut album “Robbers & Cowards” from 2006. The band originally formed in Fullerton before relocating to Long Beach, they also called San Pedro their home for their last release, “Dear Miss Lonelyhearts.”

“Lonelyhearts” was released a little over a year ago, and it might have been too soon for another album.

The band reinvents their sound in every album, but instead of adding to techniques they have used before, they keep creating different versions of themselves that are inconsistent.

In recent years, some bands have been successful at subtly changing their sound, like The Strokes, Arcade Fire and Arctic Moneys; however, Cold War Kids change too much. The only thing that is constant in each release is lead signer Nathan Willett’s voice.

Now with five albums under their belt, each album is like listening to Willett in five completely different bands that are completely unrelated.

The constant change of sound could be a reflection of only two original members present, Willett and the bassist Matt Maust.

The band now includes Dann Gallucci on guitar and Joe Plummer on drums, both former members of Modest Mouse.

One of the best songs on the album, “Hot Coals,” sounds exactly like a track one would hear on an album from Modest Mouse.

When the best track on an album sounds like an imitation of another band, it should be an indication that the final product isn’t necessarily the best.

The album starts with “All This Could Be Yours,” a piano introduction reminiscent of other singles from the bands’ past like “Miracle Mile,” “Royal Blue” and  “Louder Than Ever.”

In retrospect, it seems cruel for the band to use singles that have hints of their initial release. Album after album they reel you in, but never fully captivate ears like they once could.

It may be a bit pretentious to keep comparing each release to “Robbers & Cowards,” but the band has proven that they are capable of more engaging music with raw energy.

Originally, their sound was more reflective of blues with a hint of gospel, their music is still reflective of indie rock and better than most things on the radio, but their efforts seem to be much more generic.

The last song on the album, “Hear My Baby Call,” literally begins on the exact sonic note as “Hang Me Up To Dry.” It throws the listener back in time for just a brief second, and then reminds you that the band has changed.

Fans should have figured out by Cold War Kids second release that another gem like their debut album is probably never going happening again.