‘One Last Thing’ for CSULB’s designers

The works from more than 22 student designers from Cal State Long Beach will be showcased in the upcoming weekend in Long Beach.

The event titled One Last Thing 2014 is a completely self-funded project. Using kickstarter.com, the Bachelor of Fine Arts senior class has raised over $2,700 to cover expenses for the venue, promotional material and lighting.

“The drive that we all share and the bond that we have formed truly shows in our work,” senior graphic design major Sterling Foxcroft said.  “We believe that the design program at Long Beach State can stand up to any program in the country, and we hope our One Last Thing is a testament to that.”

Featuring more than 70 works from 22 designers, the class in graphic design will display many fields of graphic design including branding, illustration, photography, advertising, motion graphics, typography and environmental design.

The exhibit will take place at MADHAUS in Long Beach. The preparations at the venue are also an intricate part of the exhibit; the inside of the location has been designed and transformed from the ground up to heighten the viewing experience.

One Last Thing is the culmination of two years of intensive design training and the senior group is not only excited to share their work, but their experience at CSULB as well.

“The last two years in the graphic design program consisted of sleepless nights and tons of hard work,” said senior BFA graphic design major Phillip Cheung. “But it was all worth it… I wasn’t alone, we all kept pushing each other to become better designers.”

Foxcroft said the graphic design BFA program is unique from other programs because of the commitment it requires and the camaraderie it creates.

An extra two years of study in addition to their School of Art requirements are

Required, and all 22 students have taken every class in the program as a group.

According to their kickstarter bio, this group of seniors said they are not just another class, “But a family who laughed, learned and nearly strangled each other for the good of graphic design,”

“This is being called our thank you, our hello and our goodbye, but it is really our dedication,” said Foxcroft. “Our dedication to the professors, classmates and faculty that have helped turn us from students into designers and a dedication to the program we are very proud to be a part of.”

The event is free and will be held at the MADHAUS gallery located at 624 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach on Friday from 6 to 11 p.m and Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.

1. Pingback: ‘One Last Thing’ for CSULB’s designers | Trevor Becker