Arts & Life, Film & Television

‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ entertains but lacks fresh story

Release: May 1

Director: Joss Whedon

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo

Distributor: Walt Disney Studios

MPAA: PG-13

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Evil is a virus with no vaccine, and it is back with vengeance, leaving the world looking to a testosterone-clouded team of genetically modified soldiers, a demigod and a billionaire to save the world.

Marvel’s latest blockbuster “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” directed by Joss Whedon, overflows with brain-blowing, superhero action but lacks a story that resonates longer than the walk back to the car.

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is still the elitist narcissist of the team, leaving the team in the dark on an important discovery. Hoping to bring permanent peace to planet Earth, Stark, who has world peace in mind, creates Ultron (James Spader), but at the cost of life on earth. The Avengers are up against a cyber-villain that must champion for helpless earthlings once again.

The special-effects action in this film is nothing short of exceptional.

The up-close and larger-than-life action scenes audiences crave, thanks to revolving 3D camera angles, are taken to a whole new level. As the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Iron Man tear through skyscrapers and rip robots limb from limb the audience is catapulted straight into combat.

As with most sequels, familiar actors in familiar roles keep the acting on par with its predecessor. Surprisingly “Ultron” misses the mark in the comedy department in comparison to the previous Avengers flick.

A drawn out bit on Captain America’s (Chris Evans) old-fashioned manners takes up about a third of the wisecracks and could have been replaced with more of the go-to, superhero puns that have been a hit in the past.

Marvel’s most encyclopedic fans that tuned into “Agents of Shield” and saw “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will follow the backstory with ease. For those diving in from the previous Avengers film, there are a few ‘Wait, what?’ moments in the narrative that may leave newcomers a bit disoriented.

Despite the minor holes in the overall narrative, the audience is rewarded with an interesting backstory for each of the characters, retold through telepathic-induced hallucinations. Unfortunately, the attempts at tugging the non-existent heartstrings of action fans the rich visions.

Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and the Hulk are caught in a romantic sub-plot from left field and way too strange to make an impact. Additionally, Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) has a humanizing secret that is both unnecessary and distracting from the main plot, which unveils as nothing special.

The human race is on the verge of extinction, but audiences know that none of the heroes will die and there is going to be a sequel.

So, where is the suspense? Superhero movies rarely break from the predictable feel-good ending and Marvel’s summer release is no exception.
The film is a visual experience and a thrill ride, making it a must see on the big screen. Its worn-out plot will leave more sophisticated audiences disappointed—but not completely. Marvel’s movies are meant to entertain. “Ultron’s” spectacular violence and heart-pounding showdowns do just that.