Escape Long Beach: Camp above the clouds this summer

The Prewitt Ridge campground is one of the most secluded campsites in California. About a five-hour drive from Long Beach and nestled high atop the Los Padres National Forest, it offers unparalleled views of the state’s magnificent coastal beauty.

Campers are surrounded by the glinting Pacific Ocean on one side and rugged hilly hinterlands on the other. Throughout the day, the fog unfurls over the water like a duvet and then suddenly dissipates, only to creep back the next hour. At dusk, the sun slips into the water in a glory of color, leaving a glow over the horizon that is not so much light but a gentleness. This soon gives way to a big, starry sky that wraps the world in a celestial dream.

None of this is hyperbole but a severe understatement.

If you’re already dusting off the old tent and sleeping bag, here’s what you should know before heading out into the wide blue yonder.

There is no running water or bathroom facilities of any kind at these campsites, so make sure to bring sufficient water and then some. There is also no reservation system. Campsites are claimed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

While not the most popular campsite in the Big Sur area, it is still recommended that you get there early on the day of your arrival to make sure you snag a spot. Getting to the campground is a bit of a challenge, and it would be a shame to brave the daunting roads only to have to turn around.

Approaching from the east, take the 101 freeway to G18, which turns into G14 somewhere around Lockwood. This will get you to the city of Jolon. Take this opportunity to fill up your gas tank because from here on out there is only one tiny country gas station.

Tank full, take Mission Road through Fort Hunter Ligget for four miles. You’ll come across a junction with Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd., which you’ll want to take for 17 miles. Soon after you enter the Los Padres National Forest, this road begins to rapidly gain elevation.

After you reach the summit you’ll see a park ranger station. If the fire danger isn’t high, and those who want to operate a gas-powered stove or set-up a campfire can get the required permit here.

Not too far past the ranger station you’ll find a sign for South Coast Ridge Road. Turn left onto this road.

Now here’s where the fun really begins. For the next 4.3 miles you’ll be navigating a single-lane dirt road with sharp switchbacks and no guardrails up the mountain. This sounds a little troubling but if you drive carefully it shouldn’t be a problem.

While a 4×4 vehicle probably makes this road easier to tread, it’s not necessary. Word to the wise: You will come across some large potholes – fight the urge to slow down or else you might find yourself stuck. If you do get stuck, the best thing to do is to slowly reverse out of the ditch. Accelerating will only entrench you further.

Signs guide you to the campground all along the road. Once you make it up, you’ll find your perseverance will be well rewarded with a breath-taking view.

The campsites are car camping, so you just pull up to a spot and that’s where you set-up. No need to haul equipment through the wilderness. Another great thing about the place is that the sites are well spread out so it will seem like you are up above the clouds all by yourself.

The weather can get chilly at night near the coast at this elevation so bring a jacket and a good sleeping bag.

It’s well worth it to let the din of the city fade away this summer because as naturalist John Muir once wrote, “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he [or she] seeks.”