FDA allows ‘morning-after pill’ over counter

The Food and Drug Administration officially approved the morning-after pill, Thursday to be sold over the counter. Women over the age of 18 can now purchase the drug without a prescription, a victory for women’s advocacy groups.

The morning-after pill, also known as Plan B, is a high-dose combination of estrogen and progestin. It basically “prevents pregnancy,” says Doug Ta, pharmacist at CVS Pharmacy in Long Beach.

It is a “high-dose hormone that delays ovulation.”

One misconception is that the pill can abort an existing pregnancy. Ta assures the pill is not an abortion drug. In response to the approval of Plan B to be sold to young women without being prescribed by a physician, Ta believes at the age of 18 “they are adult enough” and should be able to make their own decisions [about their sexual activity]. It’s about “freedom of choice.”

Pharmacists will check for photo identification before administering the drug.

Side effects can occur because the pill “upsets the hormones,” says Ta. A common side effect is vomiting and nausea. If the side effect is severe, most physicians will prescribe an anti-nausea medication to be taken an hour before ingesting the contraceptive pill. “High-dose estrogen regimens are not suitable for everyone,” says Marjorie Greenfield, M.D., as stated in the article at DrSpock.com “Four Types of Emergency Contraception.”

Women may be at risk of having blood clots or other serious complications and should look into some other form of contraception if the risk is severe. In comparison to birth control, according to an article on www.kold.com, the morning-after pill is actually a “concentrated dose of the same drug found in birth control pills.” The”difference between birth control and Plan B is that if the woman is already pregnant, Plan B will have no effect. It is not intended for routine use, hence the fact it is “emergency contraception.” It will not be sold at gas stations or convenience stores. It will only be available at pharmacies. Women should take the pill within 72 hours after having unprotected sex, but not before actual intercourse. The sooner it is taken, the more effective it will be.

The benefits, according to www.cnn.com, are that the nation’s three million annual unplanned pregnancy rate could possibly be reduced by half. It prevents women from facing the difficulties that come with an unwanted pregnancy. Yet, it could also increase “promiscuity” as well as encourage usage by sexual predators. Like birth control, Plan B does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Other concerns are that it encourages premarital sex and it is not 100 percent effective.

One of the main reasons for the age cutoff at 18 is that there just isn’t enough proof that younger teens can safely use the drug. Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Washington and Vermont already allow for the drug to be sold without a prescription.

“I think it’s a great idea because now it is easier to get and you don’t have to go through the whole process of seeing a physician, which can be very uncomfortable,” says Cal State Long Beach sophomore bio-chemistry major Yin Phung.

“It helps for it to be more accessible.” Some women have no idea what Plan B is. “I don’t take it, let alone know what it is or how it works,” says Andrea Spaulding, an undeclared sophomore. “Under certain circumstances, I find it to be a good idea that another effective contraceptive is available to sexually active young women. People are going to have sex either way, so if you can’t prevent the actual intercourse it’s always a good idea to provide some way of preventing an unwanted pregnancy.”

The age limit doesn’t seem to be a problem for 17-year-old freshman nursing major Debbie Tran. “I think it’s good that they issued a cut-off at 18. If you’re mature enough at 18 years old to have a legal abortion then you should be mature enough to understand, and use responsibly, an emergency contraceptive.””

As for a male perspective on the issue, “Whatever prevents the girl from getting pregnant is fine by me,” says sophomore history major Thomas Lawson. “The morning after pill should appeal to men because, if you haven’t noticed, it really requires no effort on our part. On a serious note though, I think it’s great that it’s easier to get now. I mean if you commit to sexual activity and are willing to take precaution by purchasing the morning after pill, in my opinion, it shows responsibility and maturity.”

It is still being discussed whether the pill can be purchased without a prescription on CSULB’s campus. The morning-after pill is available, but students “have to make an appointment with a physician on campus who will then prescribe the pill to them,” said Douglas Anaya, a pharmacist at the Student Heath Center. “When students make an appointment, we are sure to see them as soon as possible.”

The Student Health Center is waiting to hear from their clinical manager on the issue.””It probably won’t pass,” Anaya said in response to having the pill sold over the counter here on campus. If prescribed, you can purchase the morning-after pill for $9.75.