Week of Welcome coming

Cal State Long Beach students can look forward to a week full of events beginning next week as Associated Students Inc. kicks off Week of Welcome.

For four days, ASI will be bringing students live entertainment, games, barbeques and giveaways. The first event will be a pep rally on Tuesday from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the University Student Union Southwest Terrace, where CSULB President F. King Alexander may speak. It will be his first Beach pep rally.

ASI President Shefali Mistry said she was not sure if Alexander will speak, but she said it was likely because he always shows up at school events.

Throughout the pep rally, Beach Pride gear will be given away, including shirts and hats.

During the Week of Welcome event is the organizational fair on Friendship Walk. It will be a two-day event held from 11 a.m to 2 p.m.

Organizations and clubs will set up their tables and represent themselves, trying to recruit freshmen and continuing CSULB students. The event is “geared at freshmen,” according to Mistry, but everyone is welcome.

“[CSULB] has over 300 organizations. It’s good for students to find something,” she said. Mistry mentioned the importance of students getting involved early. She said she didn’t become involved on campus until her second year.

One-hundred tables have already been reserved for the fair. That is the maximum number of tables, but Mistry said they are looking into adding extra tables. Besides the fair, something new they will be doing is having tables set up on the final day of Week of Welcome.

Mistry said this is the time they get to be visible and it is good for students to get out and become involved in something good.

On Friday night, Week of Welcome comes to an end with Smorgasport, which will begin at 8 p.m. It will involve a tournament of games and night entertainment.

There will be sports tournaments and a BMX demo. The radio station 102.7 KISS FM will also be there.