Organizations recruit students at fair

Dancing, juggling, colorful posters, and a giant yellow boat were among the many sights at the Friendship Walk during the Week of Welcome Organizational Fair on Wednesday.

About 70 organizations set up booths offering information on what they do and how to join. These booths included clubs for particular hobbies such as Anime, snowboarding, rugby, salsa dancing and juggling, and groups for certain majors such a criminal justice, marketing, sociology, and teaching. Many clubs also present were representing cultures like the Vietnamese, Persians, and Pacific Islanders. Booths for sororities and fraternities on campus were also set up at the fair.

Priscilla Klassen, a senior women’s studies major, said they were there to make sure the campus is informed about a place that deals with women’s issues.

“It’s not just for women,” Klassen added. “We welcome everyone.”

Many of the booths attracted long lists of candidates for new members. The wakeboarding team, whose booth sat in front of a giant yellow boat draped with various water sports equipment, got a list of about 45 names and e-mails from people interested in joining the team. “We also have a lot of people returning from last year,” said communications major Chris Prsha.

Some of the students attending the fair were satisfied with the information they received.

“The Karate Club and Anime club were quite intriguing,” said 4th year Kinesiology major David Walker.

“The AMA [American Marketing Association] will help me find jobs and meet people,” said Jay Baret, a senior marketing major.

Others were not able to find what they were looking for, like Bellanid Tobon, a junior Spanish major. She said that she was hoping to find “something multicultural, maybe an art club.”