Smorgasport event brings to campus Beach Pride

There was a large turnout from Cal State Long Beach students at the 2006 Smorgasport Friday night. Many could not resist the temptation of free food and games available to all with a valid student ID.

It was an “out-all-night” event that gave students an opportunity to come and show their Beach Pride. The event also encouraged students, especially those new to campus, to get involved, join clubs, sports, meet other students and have fun.

“This Smorgasport is different from the past because we are starting and ending later,” said Keya Allen, University Student Union (USU) program coordinator.

“It is also different because we have over 50 clubs and organizations participating this year.” These clubs had stations all throughout Parking Lot 3.

Smorgasport is the brainchild of Rita Hayes, director of Recreational Sports. The committee for Smorgasport was comprised of Recreational Sports, 49er Athletics, the CSULB Alumni Association, the USU, the Beach Pride Center, Student Life & Development, Associated Students Inc., ATOD, the USU Program Council, KBEACH Radio and more.

Smorgasport was intended to provide students with a safer and healthier alternative to the typical Friday evening of late-night partying and binge drinking.

“Smorgasport is helpful to students because it gets students acclimated to the activities on campus,” Allen said.

“It also introduces the students to the different entities on campus and where they can find assistance, not to mention all the free prizes and food.”

49ers were tempted by an night of free bowling, billiards and arcade games in the USU Games Center. Interactive games, a BMX demo, free pizza, music, student organization information tables, an appearance by radio station KISS FM 102.7, giveaways and sport tournaments were also present.

One particular booth that rallied up students was for the CSULB Ice Hockey Team. It gave students a chance to show off their hockey skills by shooting a ball into the corner hole of a net to win free tickets to one of the team’s games. The team made note of its slogan, “Yes, we have an ice hockey team at CSULB!”

The team also encouraged students to come and show their support for the “fastest sport at The Beach!”