Meningitis not typical problem for dorms

The residence halls at Cal State Long Beach house more than 1,900 students, most rooms with double occupancy. Prior to moving into the dorms, students were informed of meningococcal disease (meningitis), a contagious and rapidly progressive illness that can be contracted when living in close quarters and treated with a vaccination. Because of this, meningitis is a major concern for CSULB residents.

The campus does not have a history with the potentially life-threatening disease.

“We haven’t had any meningitis experiences here, thank goodness,” said Stan Olin, director of Housing & Residential Life at CSULB.

Meningococcal disease is a bacterial infection that can lead to meningococcal meningitis, an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord, or meningococcal septicemia, an infection of the blood. It is spread by close physical contact and actions, such as coughing or kissing.

According to the American College Health Assocation (ACHA) Web site, it is caused by bacteria called Neisseria meningitidis, and is the leading cause of bacterial meningitis in older children and young adults in the United States. It strikes 1,400 to 3,000 Americans each year and is responsible for approximately 150 to 300 deaths.

Adolescents and young adults account for nearly 30 percent of all cases of meningitis in the United States. In addition, approximately 100 to 125 cases of meningococcal disease occur on college campuses each year, and five to 15 students die as a result.

“There are five strains of Neisseria Meningitidis that can cause meningococcal disease. They are A, B, C, Y and W-135. The vaccine, Menactra, can prevent four strains, including two of the three types most common in the United States,” said Nop Ratanasiripong, the Health Resource Center coordinator.

“Meningococcal vaccines cannot prevent all types of the disease. But, they do protect many people who might become sick if they did not get the vaccine. The vaccine protects about 90 percent of those who get it.”

The ACHA says that evidence shows approximately 70 to 80 percent of cases in the college age group are caused by strains C, Y, or W-135, which are potentially vaccine-preventable. If not treated early, meningitis can lead to death or permanent disabilities. One in five of those who survive will suffer from long-term side effects, such as brain damage, hearing loss, seizures, or limb amputation.

Ratanasiripong added, “Students should be concerned about meningitis in general, but should not be worried about it.”

“I got the vaccine last year, so I’m not worried at all. [My suitemates and I] share drinks. We share everything, really,” said Margaret Woods, a sophomore international studies major.

“I got my vaccine as a precaution, so I’m not worried about it,” said Liz Roche, a sophomore liberal studies major.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site, college students living in residence halls are more likely to acquire meningococcal disease than the general college population due to lifestyle factors such as crowded living situations, bar patronage, active or passive smoking, irregular sleep patterns and sharing of personal items.

High fever, headache, and stiff neck are common symptoms of meningitis in anyone over the age of two years. These symptoms can develop over several hours, or they may take one to two days. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, confusion, sleepiness and discomfort looking into bright lights. As the disease progresses, patients of any age may have seizures.

Bacterial meningitis can be treated with a number of effective antibiotics. It is important, however, that treatment be started early in the course of the disease.

“We’ve been fortunate. Nothing bad has happened fortunately,” Olin said.

For $125, students can purchase Menactra at Student Health Services, room 118.