ASI names new USU at-large representative

The Associate Students, Inc. Senate confirmed Vince Marin as the new at-large representative for the University Student Union board of trustees at the senate meeting Wednesday.

ASI voted 8-2 in favor of the appointment, despite voiced concern regarding Marin’s current employment as building manager for the University Student Union.  Some senate members were concerned with potential conflicts of interest because Marin is already working for the USU.

“I don’t think my job as building manager will present a conflict of interest,” Marin said.  “I should be available to attend all the meetings.”

Out a pool of five applicants, Marin was recommended for the position by the USU board of trustees. 

Marin stated that the USU needs more advertising to foster student involvement.

“There are tons of students who don’t know what the Student Union is,” Marin said.  “We can’t just advertise within the Student Union, we need to get out.”

The USU board of trustees is responsible for communicating with and representing students, faculty, staff and alumni in regards to actions held by the USU and requests made by the campus community.

ASI President Erin Swetland briefly discussed intentions of starting formal fundraising activities for the family of Jacob Hefter, the CSULB freshman who was killed in the Sept. 12 Metrolink train crash.  Students have been gathering donations from classes and will continue throughout the week.

Betsy Decyk presented information about the CSULB Office of University Ombuds.  The office provides counseling aid to students in need of outside support resolving campus-related conflicts. In its guiding principles, the office of university ombuds states that its roll is to address sensitive issues without acting as a representative of the university.

Discussion of the textbook rental program previously introduced to the senate by 49er Shops, Inc. Bookstore Director Fred Neely was voted to be postponed until next Wednesday’s meeting.

As explained by Neely, students would rent qualified textbooks for about 40 percent of the regular price provided that they return them in good condition at the end of the semester.  Students interested in the textbook rental program can attend the next ASI Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 24.