Schwarzenegger signs California budget

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the California budget Tuesday, 85 days after the beginning of the fiscal year.

The Associated Press reported the signing of the $145-billion budget was delayed by “three months of debate over tax increases” and disagreements over how to close California’s $15.2 billion deficit.

The final budget allocates $2.97 billion to the Cal State University system, according to Teresa Ruiz, public affairs communications specialist for the CSU.

“We definitely got some of the funding restored,” Ruiz said. “However, there will still be some strain.”

Ruiz said these CSU-wide strains will most likely result in raised student fees and efforts to curb enrollment.

Officials originally projected allocated funds for the CSU to fall around $386 million short of the department of finance’s workload budget — a calculation based on CSU operational needs.

Ruiz said the established $2.97 billion is in line with the May budget revision, and funds for the CSU system now fall around $215 million short of the workload budget.

“This budget dooms those most harmed by the record-setting budget stalemate — students on financial aid, nursing homes, child care centers and other providers of critical public services — to relive the same nightmare next year,” the LA Times reported State Controller John Chaing as saying.