Celebrity Slam/Tag the World

The slam, which began at 8:30 p.m. in the Walter Pyramid, launched the organization’s campaign to support various charities under five causes: Africa, animals, cancer, children and global green.

The teams were separated randomly into the white team and the silver team. Actors Robert Ri’chard, Columbus Short, DeRay Davis, Quddus, Simon Rex, Jarod Einsohn, Sal Masakela and Nick Swardson were on the white team. Actors Roger Cross, Nana, Ricky Anderson, Frankie Delgado and Michael Copon were on the silver team. Robert Parks-Valleta, creator of Tag the World, later joined the silver team. Many of the actors play in the NBA Entertainment League, according to Parks-Valleta. The silver team won the game, 65-59.

Celebrities who attended the event included actors Gabriel Cannon, Austin Anderson and Darin Brooks, as well as recording artists Sir Lance and Qwes.

Actor Brandon Hardin hosted the event, offering humorous commentary throughout the game. DJ Backdraft was the disc jockey for the slam. Sacha Edwards, 12, has sung with musicians like Kid Rock and sang the national anthem with fervor, ending her performance on her knees.

The CSULB Dance Team performed after the second quarter to “When I Grow Up” by the Pussycat Dolls. The celebrities also danced, with Copon and Delgado later competing in a quick dance-off that got “really awkward real quick,” according to Hardin. Short was then asked to show off his moves, as he had starred in “Stomp the Yard.” Also, the band Front Line Failure, an alternative rock group comprised of four young boys, performed three songs.

The planned “Deal or No Deal” game, which would have allowed audience members the opportunity to win prizes by shooting baskets against celebrities, was cancelled because a few of the “Deal or No Deal” models had to work out of state, Parks-Valleta said.

An afterparty followed at the nightclub Sevilla, ending the night with food, dancing and modeling. Members of CSULB sororities competed for a one-year modeling contract in a rock ‘n’ roll-themed fashion show. Those selected will be contacted Monday.

Many CSULB students attended the slam and enjoyed themselves.

“I liked seeing the celebrities just in a natural environment and having fun and supporting Tag the World,” said sophomore nursing major Bristal Bolton. Junior interior architecture major Christy Grobnenberg also liked seeing stars act “like normal people,” she said. Sophomore business major Denise Marquez especially liked the fact that the proceeds go to charity.

Fifth-year senior Andrew Wang, a geology major, attended the event because he “wanted to meet some celebrities.” Many of the stars interacted with audience members, speaking with them and taking pictures with them.

Liz Ureste, a junior physical education major, attended for both the celebrities and the charities.

“It’s just for a good cause,” she said. “It was a good time, everyone had fun.”

While tickets from the event fund Tag the World, the profits from merchandise sold at the event, such as customized tags, go directly to specific charities.

Approximately 1,000 people attended the event, according to Parks-Valleta. In addition, about 100 shirts, which cost $20 each, were sold. About six $80 tags, designed by jeweler Michael Barin, were also sold.

Various members of the media covered the event, including CSULB’s College Beat Television, as well as CNN, WireImage, Getty Images and The Beachcomber, according to Parks-Valleta.

There were, however, a few problems. Actors had difficulty making it to Long Beach, causing the slam to start 30 minutes late.

“Traffic was so bad coming from Los Angeles,” Parks-Valleta said, “but everyone finally showed up.”

Despite the problems, Parks-Valleta still considers the event a success.

“We’re really grateful that we had such a great turnout,” he said. Kendhal Beal, Tag the World co-founder, added, “We were very pleased with the event.”

Though this is the first Tag the World event ever, Parks-Valleta said there are possibilities of another Celebrity Slam at CSULB next year.

He said, “I hope that this will be a yearly event that we’re going to be having at the school.” Tag the World is also scheduled to host another launch party in January at My House, a venue in Hollywood that hasn’t been opened yet, according to Parks-Valleta.

For more information about Tag the World or purchasing tags, visit www.tagtheworld.com.