Child center director great listener

“Live well, love much, laugh often,” reads the plaque above Stephanie Rios’ desk.

As assistant director of the infant toddler program at the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center, Rios was known for her hard work, sincerity and listening skills.

Rios died of a massive brain aneurysm on Oct. 13 at age 45.

“She was great; she was one of the best listeners she really loved the center she was just an awesome person,” said Gina Guffy a program teacher at the center. “Her life was the center. The main thing was her listening. She was always willing to listen to people she would call it active listening.” 

The CDC closed its offices on Oct. 20 to hold a memorial in Rios’ honor.  Family, friends and coworkers spoke about how Rios lived her life. 

“Stephanie always found something in people to connect with,” said Maria Rivera, assistant director of the children’s program. “She had friends from all different walks of life.”

Originally from the San Gabriel Valley, Rios was raised by adopted family members. Her mother died when she was 14 years old and she never knew her father. Rios thought of all her close friends as “brothers and sisters.”

“Stephanie was not my blood sister but she was my sister,” said Frances Jones, a friend of Rios. “We talked about boys, we shared clothes, we disagreed, we even traveled together.”

Rios received her bachelor’s in child development at the University of LaVerne. After graduating, Rios worked for the city of Montebello Parks and Recreation Facilities as head of Grant Rae Park.  She came to Cal State University Long Beach shortly after and settled in as part of the CDC for more than 10 years.

Friends say Rios’ dedication to her work was evident to all those around her.  Rivera remembered her as committed and professional. She said Rios never seemed tired and always did what needed to be done. 

“She could never say no to anything,” Guffy said of Rios. “She had an old boyfriend whose family had a delivery business to hospitals and years after they broke she up still delivered mail for them. I used to laugh because she always spent her weekends doing that.”

Rios also made sure to enjoy her life outside of work. She liked to outdoor activities that brought her and her friends together. Friends enjoyed going to UCLA tailgate parties, planning Yosemite trips, and roller skating with her.

“She was a social butterfly who got her wings and pulled everybody in with her,” Jones said.