Prop 8 protests

Protesters gathered in Los Angeles on Spring and Second Streets to march against the passage of Proposition 8 on Saturday.

The event started out peaceful but soon a conflict erupted when a group of people showed up holding signs opposing same-sex marriages.

Thousands of individuals affected by the passage of Proposition 8, along with their friends and families, paraded the streets holding signs and flags. People also painted messages on themselves explaining their feelings toward the ban on same-sex marriage.

“I want to be a part of a massive protest,” said Vanessa Durand of Gardena. “We have to stand up for our rights and it’s unfair that our rights are being taken from us because we’re not straight.”

Handmade posters and T-shirts with phrases like “defend equality; love unites,” “justice for all,” and “Jonathan loved David in the Bible; get over it” were used in defense against posters indicating Bible proverbs against same-sex marriages.

Dan Burton, a member of the Official Street Preachers organization said he was there to express that not everyone is against Proposition 8, and there should be an equal voice at the “No on Prop 8” protest.

“This gathering is about equality and they are talking about equality for same-sex marriages, but they want to deprive me and my people equality rights to be here,” Burton said. “They got police intervention for me to back off. All I want to do is express an equality point of view. I even got a death threat.”

One argument ended with a threat from the protester to the official street preacher, “I hope you die a horrible death. Watch your back,” before the police broke up the confrontation. 

“I’m just here to participate in our expression of our disappointment with the vote and to fight for our civil rights,” said protestor Robert SanLuis.

“The majority of those who are for prop 8 are uninformed and are un-American because if they were American, they would follow the Constitution,” SanLuis said. 

Later, Mayor Antonio Villaragoisa started his speech, repeating, “I love California.”      

He compared the discrimination of same-sex marriages to interracial marriages that were banned years ago. “We chose to be a free state, not a slave state,” Villaragoisa said. “California decided that we would join the cause of freedom and here we are to say L.A. will lead the way.”

The crowds cheered and clapped with appreciation and joy some even with tears in their eyes cascading down their cheeks.

“Here in this great state, we will stand up with the idea that in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of God, thou shall not discriminate,” Villaragoisa said.

The rally was part of a national event called, “Join the Impact.” The next scheduled event, “Day Without a Gay,” on Dec. 10, calls out to the LGBT community to not attend work or contribute to the economy in any way for the one day, according to jointheimpact.com.

Correction – ‘discriminate’

I just looked up the word ‘dicriminate’ in a Bible concordance (NASV), and it wasn’t listed even once. So it is hard to see where Villaragoisa gets his quote.