ASI approves rental program

After weeks of discussion, the Associated Students, Inc. Senate unanimously voted to approve the Textbook Rental Program and the Campus Safety Initiative.

The rental program has been talked about at the ASI Senate meetings for the past six weeks, being amended almost weekly, and is now in the hands of the 49er Shops, Inc., which has already begun taking steps to inform professors of the program. Professors will be required to adopt the same textbook for four consecutive semesters in order for it to be eligible for rental.

The program is intended to start for the upcoming spring semester if the 49er Shops, Inc. gets the program outlined and set up by then.

The Senate’s unanimous vote approving the Campus Safety Initiative requires an annual “Night Walk” where ASI sweeps the campus at night in order to find any potentially unsafe areas on campus. This semester the Night Walk will happen after Dec. 1, but the initiative requires that in the future it is done before Dec. 1.

It will also secure additional lighting on Atherton Street, while recognizing efforts of the university and the City of Long Beach for the recent lighting improvements in other areas of campus. The Senate also agreed that student’s should have input on campus safety issues.