CSULB committed to accreditation process

Into its third year of a four-year re-accreditation process, Cal State University Long Beach set out to inform the campus about the ongoing effort with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. A panel, consisting of faculty and administrators, noted the progress the university has made.

The university has seen an increase in graduation since 2002 when WASC first started tracking the freshman class.

“It rose from 23 percent to about 54 percent,” said Praveen Soni, chair of the Academic Senate.

Improving campus through greater student participation and campus self-reflection were the core themes for the luncheon symposium.

“It’s the foundation of the value of our degree. It makes sure our standards are in line with our university. It forces us to look at our services,” said Erin Swetland, ASI president and the sole student representative. “It is a self-evaluation to look at our strengths and weakness. We always want to be striving for more.”

The panel explained the three core commitments of the University, staffing and organizing the university for optimal effectiveness and assessing student success.

“We really ask now for people to step forward and participate,” Blazey said.

Blazey also mentioned that the Steering Committee, in charge of the WASC process, had conducted many student and faculty surveys to base their research on and analyze their effectiveness.

Perrin Reid discussed the commitment for supporting CSULB staff and faculty and the diversity within the campus. Reid explained that much of the research is based on surveys, salary evaluation, staff workload and satisfaction. The committee is currently figuring out ways to get input from faculty members on tenure.

Reid said they are also using focus groups, technology and data analysis as part of their research.

Mary Ann Takemoto pointed to university programs as helping students’ success. Takemoto said that there are many programs on campus that aide in student achievement, such as those students who are first generation college students.

Students attending the symposium were able to gain knowledge on what WASC is and what it means to them.

“The event was very good. Students are more involved in the event,” said Titus Potter, junior and political science major. Potter was enthusiastic about the increased graduation rates.

“It shows how much we can grow,” added Potter.

Soni said the Steering Committee will offer the “Gourmet Coffee Break” on Feb.27, that is specifically for faculty to become involved and participate with the WASC accreditation process.

In March 2009, CSULB will be revisited by the WASC team to continue the re-accreditation review.

You guys will be accredited. Don’t worry about it.