Program designed to help introduce disabled students to the CSULB campus

The Disabled Student Services Center will start a new program called Making Connections, Making Friends next semester, designed to connect older and newer Cal State Long Beach disabled students and allow them to share their experiences.

“We want to connect continuing students with the new students who are in the DSS program so that they don’t feel isolated and have someone to talk to about adjusting to the campus and managing their disability,” said Rachelle Ang, case manager for DSS.

Students who sign up agree to keep in contact with their partner at least once a week via e-mail or in person for one semester.

According to Ang, the program started because of the difficult time disabled students may have connecting and adjusting to the CSULB campus.

“Students with disabilities have to deal with a whole other layer of adjustment to our campus, from figuring out how to find an accessible way to class, figuring how to ask someone to be their note-taker and then trying to build a social network,” Ang said. “It can be rather isolating and intimidating.”

There are currently 1,200 students enrolled in the DSS program but no faculty or student volunteers. The program encourages disabled freshman students to apply so they can experience the program right away.

Robert Beahm, a disabled Long Beach resident, said this program will make his life easier when he becomes a third-year student at CSULB.

“I want to be able to have it all, friends and school. I want to be able to focus on making friends without being distracted with my disability.”

Once the program starts, social mixers will be set up once a semester for all volunteers and program members to meet and talk about their experiences.

“We thought this program would help students feel more connected and have someone they could bounce questions off of, who has an understanding of what they are going through and can share their experience and tips,” Ang said.

To get an application, visit the DSS Center at Brotman Hall in Room 270.

“This is going to be a great way to get involved in our school and help students who are just trying to experience the most of their school,” said junior Rebecca Kruse.

Great article Jackie!!!!!