When Bigs meet Littles

The Big Brothers Big Sisters program of Orange County is partnering with Cal State Long Beach in an effort to increase student awareness about the benefits of becoming a “Big.”

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County needs college-aged mentors to join their program, especially positive male role models.

“There are hundreds of little boys waiting for Big Brothers,” said Mary McPherson, an associate professor of the communication studies department at CSULB.

“I feel like the majority of volunteers with any program are usually female,” said Cindie Sharp, who received her undergraduate degree from CSULB and is currently working towards her master’s in marketing. “I don’t know if there’s something innate in women that makes them want to volunteer, but there’s a definite need for more men in this program.”

Dedan Brozino, assistant director of marketing and special projects of Long Beach State Athletics said CSULB’s student-athletes are working with the program to host “Big for a Day” and other events in the spring.

McPherson has been involved with the program for years and still finds it to be an extremely rewarding experience.

“I’ve always volunteered with animal organizations but I’d heard about Big Brothers Big Sisters and thought, ‘Oh, well, let’s try humans… They need my help too,'” McPherson said.

Sharp wanted to join a mentoring program that worked with her hectic lifestyle, since she juggles a full-time job and several night classes. She’s been with the organization for about nine months now.

When asked to explain what someone has to do to become a part of the program, McPherson and Sharp both agreed that joining is a “thorough” process.

“It’s pretty strenuous but it’s just to make sure that you’re not a ‘dangerous’ person and that they can create an ideal match between a Big and a Little,” McPherson said.

A “Big” is the person who is volunteering and a “Little” is the child who’s being mentored. The process begins with filling out an application, which is followed by a series of interviews with counselors appointed by the program. Then you have to fill out a police report and take a personality survey to determine compatible matches.

Once a suitable match has been made, the Big meets with the Little’s parents. Then, if all parties agree, the Little and Big will meet as the final test. If either’s family is unhappy with the match at any point during this process, then another match may be selected. After an ideal match has been made, a Big must sign an agreement promising to commit to their Little for one year.

The program requires that a Big mentors their Little about one to two times a month doing things they both enjoy.

“My first experience was very difficult because my Little had some mental deficiencies. But in all, I’ve had three matches. My current Little and I have been matched for about eight years,” McPherson said. “She’s 17 years old now, so we don’t do the same things we did when she was 8. Now we do stuff like watch the presidential elections and I’ve also brought her on the CSULB campus to show her what college is like.”

Sharp had her hesitations about the program at first because she was worried about making such a huge commitment.

“I know I’m making a difference in this little girl’s life. Even if I’m really busy, I’ll make time for her. It’s a good break from life to just hang out and do fun things,” Sharp said. “I’ll go to her soccer games or we’ll see a movie or bake cookies. We’ve even done the CSULB Beach clean-up.”

The Big Brothers Big Sisters program helps give volunteers opportunities to spend time with their Littles. They send weekly e-mails about different community events, including free tickets to sporting games.
On Feb. 7, the men’s basketball game will be Purple in the Pyramid Night.

“This night will be used to make the Long Beach State community aware of the benefits of being a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County,” Brozino said. “Student-athletes will act as mentors for unmatched kids. They’ll do athletic activities, hang out and go see an athletic event together in the evening.”

Crystal Aguirre

Great story!