Rallying against budget cuts

Cal State Long Beach will hold a rally in opposition of the budget cuts Monday in hopes of persuading Assemblyman Jim Silva to vote no on the funding for the CSU system and educate students on the budget cuts.

Silva is a member of the committee on budget for the California State Assembly and has not yet voted to fully fund the CSU. He is the assemblyman for the 67th District, which includes Huntington Beach and Westminster and borders Long Beach.

Associated Students Inc. is urging students and residents of the 67th District to ask Silva to fully fund the CSU and to vote down the $66-million cut in order to protect the access for students.

ASI is also distributing “Vote to Fund Our Future” postcards for students to fill out and drop off in ASI’s office from Monday to Wednesday in order to be delivered to Silva.

“3,000 students come from his district and we want him to note that CSULB will be affected by this cut,” said Christopher Chavez, vice president of ASI.

According to Chavez, the university is aiming for around 300 students to attend the rally. He said students are key in getting the message out.

“Every dollar spent on Long Beach’s CSU system puts back $4.41 into the California state economy,” Chavez said.

The rally will be held at the Speaker’s Platform from noon to 1 p.m.

“We want students to feel empowered and save the CSU system,” Chavez said.

Fight the good fight girlfriend!