Open spaces may be new era for parking

Even with the loss of parking spaces from the demolition of Parking Lot 11C, students commuting to Cal State Long Beach found some parking-related relief with the opening of Parking Structure 3 on east campus.

Campus officials said that although there was some back-up in the same places as last semester, the new structure effectively helped ease the flow of traffic.

Anthony Vezirian, a junior music major, arrived around 9 a.m. and was happy to see Parking Lot 12 with open spaces rather than completely full like past semesters.

“It seems like it is a little bit easier to park this semester than last semester … but congestion getting to the parking structure by the Pyramid is just as bad as it was last semester,” Vezirian said.

University Chief of Police Stan Skipworth said parking went well and the opening of Parking Structure 3 has been “taking a lot of pressure off some regions on the campus.”

Parking lots on the west side of campus were full by 9:50 a.m., but the lots and structures on the east side still had spots available at around noon, according to Mark Rudometkin, the associate director of Parking and Access Services.

Skipworth said that as of yesterday afternoon, there had been fewer parking citations issued than on the first day of the fall 2008 semester.

Vishal Kumar, a junior exercise science major, said he saw the effect of the newly-opened parking structure.

“I hate being in a rush, and when there is no parking and you’re late, and you have to run to class you start sweating and getting uncomfortable, so that’s just a bad start to your day,” Kumar said. “I’m pretty sure having the new structure is better because you can get the parking on campus that you paid for.”