Alexander gives positive message to CSULB

After describing Cal State Long Beach’s precarious budget situation as a push and pull between state cuts and federal aid, President F. King Alexander gave Wednesday’s Senate assembly his reassurances: “We’re fine.”

Alexander addressed the Senate just hours after House approval for an $819 billion economic recovery plan that would include billions in emergency funding for public education. But even with those dollars coming in, Alexander compared California’s state budget situation to nearing the edge of a cliff.

“In Washington we have some very productive, positive action happening now,” Alexander said. “In Sacramento, we are still waiting.”

CSULB’s new Hall of Science building was among the 2,000 construction projects brought to a halt by Gov. Schwarzenegger’s budget freeze in December, Alexander said, and other expenses usually covered by the state budget, including Cal Grants and campus payroll, may also have to be covered by the CSULB’s own funds in the future. Projects funded by the university’s own tuition revenues, however, like the new Student Wellness Center, will remain unaffected by changes to the budget.

“The uncertainty of it all has been really troubling, but we’ll get through it,” Alexander said.

The Senate also passed Resolution #2009-19, The Cal Grant Defense Act of 2009, which essentially denounces the proposed cuts to the Cal Grant student aid program.

Included in the cuts is an $88 billion reduction of funds awarded to recipients of Cal Grant B, which provides a living allowance and tuition and fee assistance for low-income students. Vice President Chavez and other Senate members themselves received Cal Grant B allowances, along with more than 3,000 other CSULB students.

hey, you ads are blocking the story text and can’t be closed.