Fiscal crisis threatens ASI positions

“First of all, I want you all to take a deep breath,” began Associated Students Inc. Executive Director Richard Haller at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Some student-held positions that are funded by ASI are being threatened by a reduction of student enrollment and exacerbated by the current budget crisis, according to Haller.

As student enrollment has decreased, so have the student-paid fees for ASI while other expenses, such as utilities for the University Student Union and insurance costs, have increased.

Haller said there is no specific projected number for the amount of jobs to be cut, but most would be positions that are currently held by students and could be as soon as July 1. With the large sum of money being cut from the budget, he said, the problem cannot be solved with just one fix.

Adjusting to the budget cut will take involve many changes, Haller said, and layoffs might have to be one of them.

After the senate meeting adjourned, Haller advised Senator Everett Bryan, from the College of Engineering, not to panic. Haller added that not only will the layoffs be less than the attrition rate, but about 300 more jobs will be created with the opening of the new recreation center.

ASI President Erin Swetland discussed updates regarding revisions of the General Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).

Swetland told the Senate about a proposed student fee of $25 for GWAR classes because of the extra staff needed to grade papers. Many English Department faculty members are speaking out against GWAR, she said, and that petitions will continue to circulate.

A meeting addressing the concerns about the proposed GWAR revisions will be held Thursday, Feb. 12, at 2 p.m. in Psych 150 and is open to all students.

Not even placing comments works much of the time. Are you guys censoring criticism out? All comments should post immediately. This is more like something high schools would do.

Couch Monitor

no more pleather couches in the ASI president’s office?

Yet another reason AGAINST the Beach Legacy fiasco. Or is this ALSO public relations apples and oranges? Now is not the time to jack students for more money for athletics.