ASI, CFA host budget protest

More than 100 students shuffled by to sign forms resisting the recently passed state budget plan at a protest at the West Turnaround, but most did not seem to notice the table or understand what was happening yesterday.

The low-key protest, hosted by Associated Students Inc. and the California Faculty Association, was collaborated by the two organizations to help inform students about the effects of the 2009-2010 state budget on California State University campuses.

According to a document released by the CFA concerning the early adoption of 2009-2010 budget, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a gasoline tax of about 13 cents in his original budget plan that many republican legislators did not approve of, said Teri Yamada, CFA president and professor of Asian studies at Cal State Long Beach.

“In order to get the last Republican vote, Schwarzenegger got rid of it,” Yamada said.

Instead Schwarzenegger made a line-item veto of $255 million. When the federal stimulus money comes in, however, that “backfill” amount will be plugged by federal funds, Yamada said.

If California does not receive its expected $10 million from the federal stimulus package by April 1, Gov. Schwarzenegger has planned to adopt a “trigger” cut, which will make an additional cut of $50 million to the CSU system as well as cuts from state departments that will total $947 million.

The CFA urges students to plead with legislators to reconsider this “trigger” cut, since it will immediately result in fewer classes, graduation delays, and less students, including transfers, will be able to enroll at CSULB next year.

“We were not planning for $355 million of extra cuts,” Yamada said. “That planning needs to take place.”

Yamada said the presidents of all CSU campuses would be meeting within the next few days to discuss what will be done if Schwarzenegger decides to pull through with his plan. CSULB President F. King Alexander could not be reached to confirm the meeting.

Yamada and other members of CFA, along with ASI, launched a public education campaign that brings trained interns to classes where CSULB faculty can sign up so their students can learn more about what they can do to resist more budget cuts.

“Over 40 faculty members have signed up,” Yamada said.

Students who passed by the table quickly signed the forms stating their identity and leaving space for their story of how CSU budget cuts have affected them, before rushing to their next class. Some said they did not even have a story to share but knew that signing these forms was the right thing to do.

“It’s not right and it’s hurting people,” said freshman illustration major Jasmine Gagnier. “My friends [who are in high school] got into great Cal States and UCs. They have the opportunity for a great education but are going to community colleges like Cypress College and Cerritos College because it’s cheaper.”

Maricela Lopez, a junior journalism major didn’t get her Cal Grant this year and fears she will not be able to attend CSULB if she doesn’t get enough financial aid next year.

“I would just work until I can come back,” Lopez said.

Vice president of ASI Christopher Chavez said the government does not always sympathize with students who are attending public universities in California.

“It’s easy for the government to crunch people down into numbers and statistics,” Chavez said. “But students are not able to buy textbooks, pay for tuition, and make ends meet day to day.”

The CFA will fax the papers students have signed and stories they have shared to the governor and legislative leaders before the end of February. A rally is also planned for the end of April where state assembly member Bonnie Lowenthal will be invited onto campus along with state budget committee members Jim Silva and Mike Duvall.

Don’t forget to pile on more taxes like an athletics fee for football and soccer.