Students bring sack lunches, restaurants pack up

Due to the economy, students are packing their lunches more frequently and on-campus restaurants are feeling the strain.

Cal State Long Beach eateries are offering more specials to encourage student purchases, which have dwindled due to the current economic lapse. Sbarro’s “happy hour” and Subway’s $5 foot-long deal are examples of “stimulus specials.” With the closing of Quiznos in the University Dining Plaza (UDP) this semester, fellow restaurants are doing all they can to stay afloat.

Richard Surh, owner of Surf City Squeeze, said he has observed more students using microwaves in the UDP. His business has seen a 30 percent drop in sales in the last year, and can also be added to the list of restaurants offering specials to appeal student wallets.

Surh has posted a sign in one of the windows of the UDP for a two-for-$5 smoothie deal, which he said has made no significant impact on business. To stay stable, Surh has not been able to hire additional staff, and he put himself on the work schedule in order to save money.

As for next semester, Surh said, “Every year there are new trends, with new students who will bring in more spending power.”

While traveling down the escalator around noon to Subway, campus-goers can usually find a long line of students waiting patiently for their chance to grab a $5 foot-long sandwich. Regardless, this year the on-campus chain has experienced a 5 to 10 percent decrease in business.

“This is the first year we’ve seen a decrease in sales,” said Ramon Soto, Subway shift manager.

Though sales have decreased, Subway management has not had to cut hours for workers as other restaurants on campus have. The $5 foot-long promotion has caught the attention of many students who see it as a “two-meal deal,” according to sophomore geology major Joe Giunchigliani.

For the newly opened Sbarro, the drop in business is more than noticeable. According to Manager Fernando Rivera, the estimated weekly earnings of $25,000 is falling 60 percent short.

Rivera said it may have to do with the prices per slice of pizza.

“Prices here don’t compare to that of airports or Sbarro in Vegas, where a slice is $5.99,” Rivera said.

He said that CSULB’s Sbarro has lowered its menu prices by 25 to 28 percent, and that the chain will stick out the semester and continue to cater to students by offering more promotions, including the possible price reduction of a full pizza.

According to Katelyn Peterson, a sophomore liberal studies major, “It is easier and more cost efficient to go home and cook rather than spend money on campus for food.”

Peterson said, “I would rather spend that $6 or $7 on groceries that will last me longer than a fast food meal.”

But while many people may be bringing their own food, plenty of students are still taking advantage of the deals offered on campus. Troy Mead, a sophomore business major, still buys lunch about three times a week.

“I buy lunch on campus because it’s convenient and there are places like Taco Bell where you can get the most food for the lowest price,” Mead said. He said businesses that serve smoothies, like Surf City Squeeze, sell “a luxury food.”

Don Penrod, CEO and general manager of 49er Shops Inc. at CSULB, also observed more students with sack lunches, as well as fewer students purchasing meals in the UDP or at the Outpost.

According to Penrod, the campus eateries feel the strain much more because they do not receive support from student fees or any state-funded grants.

“Students and parents are struggling to make ends meet and we are trying to accommodate them as much as possible,” Penrod said.

Earnings for the Nugget have dropped an average of $1,000 to $1,500 a day, while the figures for the Outpost are meeting only two-thirds of its projected revenue.

“This is partly because the Outpost was not opened on its planned date,” Penrod said.

According to Penrod, if the Outpost had opened earlier, it would have allowed the restaurant to build its business as CSULB students got settled into their routines. He said that Subway has a good price point and is in support of providing promotions for the 49er Shops.

As for Quiznos, Surh said that it will reopen in fall 2009 and that he will probably be the owner.

For now, restaurants are doing whatever they can to stay in business at CSULB.

Your name

FML

Your name

PB&J and ramen noodles from home will become the staples at CSULB and every other CSU. We are being starved out.

Your name

They can all expect a 10 to 20 percent minimum drop in business this fall if the tuition increases are voted in on Wednesday. That will also mean fewer student jobs on campus.