CSULB student may be infected with H1N1 swine flu

A second student at Cal State Long Beach may be infected with the H1N1 virus that causes swine flu.

In an e-mail sent to all students shortly before 4 p.m. Thursday, CSULB President F. King Alexander said the university was informed of the presumptive positive test Wednesday night.

The student, who was not identified, was treated at Student Health Services and sent home, Alexander said. The student does not live on campus.

If confirmed, it would be the second known case of H1N1 swine flu at CSULB. A female student living in the Los Alamitos Residence Hall fell ill with the disease in late April and was moved out of her dorm room as a precaution.

That case, along with four others off campus, prompted the City of Long Beach to declare a local health emergency. To date, none of those infected in Long Beach have died, and the female student who contracted the virus in April has since been allowed to return to classes.

In the email, Alexander said that students and faculty who may have come into contact with the student currently suspected of having swine flu were being notified, and encouraged all students with flu symptoms to visit the Student Health Center.

“If you have flu-like symptoms, especially if you are running a fever, seek medical attention,” Alexander said.

Swine flu is thought to be responsible for at least ten deaths in the United States, including a 21-year-old Utah man who was taken off life support Wednesday night, according to an Associated Press report.

Mihir Patel

First comment