CSULB turns into ‘ghost town’

Students looking to pay fees on campus for the upcoming semester can forget about it today.

The first of 11 “Staff State Budget Closure Days” will shut down various Cal State Long Beach facilities and services. An additional six closure days also will include faculty — three during the fall and three in the spring. The closures will make up half of the campus’ $42 million budget reduction over the next year.

“Unfortunately, this is the first of many state budget closure days when the university will not be able to serve its students and the public with the level of educational support that we’re used to providing,” CSULB President F. King Alexander said in a prepared statement.

Limited summer school classes will remain open, according to a press release. Among the 21 buildings and services closed are Brotman Hall (enrollment and student account services, as well as financial aid), the campus library, Housing and Residential Life, the Horn Center (computer lab, Learning Assistance Center and Academic Advising Center), Disabled Student Services and some food venues.

Alexander told the Press-Telegram that “it’s going to be a ghost town over here.”

However, the student union and most food court venues — including The Nugget — will remain open. Summer session classes (unless otherwise notified by an instructor), campus police, the bookstore and summer camps will also continue to operate.

Sophomore kinesiology major Tefary Burford said the inability of students to pay their fees today will “cause a lot of rage.”

“I believe a lot of students are unaware,” added Burford, who works the information desk at the student union. “[The days off] will take a toll during the actual semester with less class hours.”

Jennifer Wisniewski, a senior French and Spanish major, said the shutdown days would make more sense if held on the weekends.

“It would save energy and money … instead of [cutting] pay for staff,” she said.

Another closure will occur Friday, Aug. 21.

People may call 562-985-8080 for additional information regarding campus closures.

Campus Shutdown Dates
  • September 8, 2009
  • October 9, 2009
  • November 2, 2009
  • March 26, 2010
  • April 21, 2010
  • May 6, 2010
Closed Services
  • Brotman Hall
  • Housing and Residential Life
  • University Library
  • Horn Center
  • Bickerstaff Academic Center
  • Student Health Center
  • University Art Museum
  • Disabled Student Services
  • Office of Veterans Affairs
  • Center for International Education
  • Counseling & Psychological Services
  • Career Development Center
  • Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
  • Office of Student Life & Development
  • Parking Office
  • Most food venues
  • Carpenter Center
  • Japanese Garden