State senator, former ASI president dies at 53

State Senator and former CSULB Associated Students Inc. president, Jenny Oropeza, died Wednesday at 9 p.m.  She was 53.

The 1979-81 ASI president made quite an impression on one ASI executive.

“Jenny was the AS president who first got me involved in student government back when I was a student at CSULB,” said ASI Executive Director Richard Haller. “She was the first president to ever win re-election (she served two terms) and served with incomparable determination and compassion during a very tumultuous time. On a personal note, she made me feel welcomed and valued in what at the time seemed to be a large, intimidating institution.

“You could say that she is big part of why I am still here today.”

“She left a great legacy here at Long Beach State,” said ASI President James Ahumada after hearing about Oropeza’s sudden death.   

According to Diana Reyes, ASI department secretary, only two other ASI presidents have served two one-year terms: Carl Kemp (1995-97) and Danny Vivian (2002-04).

Oropeza was a Democrat who represented the 28th District, which included most of South Bay and Long Beach, since 2006 and was a member of many organizations promoting education.

Oropeza’s press secretary, Ray Soltero told the Washington Post that she died of complications from a blood clot in her abdomen.

“It’s a sad loss,” said Ahumada, “she did great things for CSULB and the state.”  

Matt Guhit and Brian Cuaron contributed to this story.