CSULB students bring ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ to life

It might be considered the most popular cult film ever. There are weekly showings across the United States and an underground fan base that swells into the hundreds of thousands.

The “Rocky Horror Picture Show” has run continuously in America since its premiere in 1975, making it the only film to be in select theaters for 35 years. The film is only part of the experience — the truly fascinating feature is the cast and their loyal audience.

Creatures of the night

Several Cal State Long Beach students perform in the “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” presented by theatre group Midnight Insanity.

“My first exposure [to the ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’] was at my friend’s house,” said Steffan Muntsinger, a senior theatre arts major at Cal State Long Beach and “Rocky” performer. “We were there and some friends wanted to check it out. They were really excited to go. I went and had a blast. I really don’t remember a lot of the night because it was so crazy, but I ended up going back.”

For Muntsinger, this first dip into the performance world changed his life more than eight years ago.

“I’m coming up on my third year as a major performer. I had been on cast as a tech crew member, and I wanted to perform,” Muntsinger said. “I really liked the idea of performing the character and being in someone else’s shoes, even if they’re pumps.”

Senior theatre arts major Courtney Knight has had a long relationship with the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” as well.

“I saw the movie when I was 12 and then I went to the shadow cast when I was 14 for a friend’s birthday,” Knight said. A shadow cast is made up of actors who perform as a film is playing. “I was a semi-regular film go-er and I joined the cast when I was 18,” she said.

Since then, Knight has been with the cast for three years with a nine-month break for school, but still guest performs during her hiatus.

Like any live action performance, there is some kind of responsible leader.

“I’ve been with the cast for eight years now, and it’s coming up on its 25th anniversary” said Brandon Humphrey, co-stage director and emcee of the show. “I slowly worked my way up to a leadership position. I’ve performed in different theaters in two counties.”

The emcee explains the rules of the film and what is expected from the audience interaction.

Theatre and film

When you go to a theater that is showing “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” the first thing you’ll notice is the people waiting to see the film. Various people dress in costumes — some sexy, some crazy — but all are donning a smile on their face. You may shrug it off and think, “Hey, it’s a midnight movie. I should have expected a few people to be dressed up.”

But then you see a few more people in costume and then a few more and, like a bolt of lightning, it will become obvious that the social minority has become the ruling class.

The film is nothing special by itself. It’s a strange plot with continuity errors and odd camera work with little explanation. However, this is all cast aside as you take part in the film and, make no mistake, you will not be sitting and calmly watching the movie.

The cultural appeal

So why do people get dressed up and go out? The reasons for that depends on who you ask.

“Parents bring kids and they say they saw the first showing,” Humphrey said. “It’s a rite of passage … It’s about a place where a guy can show up in a corset and thong and he’s not even the most weird, gender-bending person there. It has found a balance between mainstream and outside of the realms of what we do on a daily basis.”

Knight said that the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” satisfies the demand of personal expression in today’s culture.

“I think more people have more kinks and quirks than they like to admit and this allows them to express it without losing their jobs,” Knight said. “I genuinely believe that everyone has this dark, interesting non-norm that they are afraid to be judged on.

” ‘Rocky Horror’ appeals to sexuality. I think it excites people to see that gender can be bent or even ignored. For some, this is the first time they see men in women’s clothing and it’s still sexual, more than it can even communicate. The majority of people in the show think it’s a terrible movie, but remain there because of the freedom the movie represents.”

Even more than that, there is a sense of community, forged by routine and inside jokes that seem to be the basis of every relationship.

“In my eyes, it’s a community of friends. They’re all good people,” Muntsinger said. “What I think is interesting is the weekly meeting of such large groups. You don’t see that anywhere except for church and I’m not trying to compare … I go [to ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’] and see dozens of audience members from previous weeks.”

The raison d’être

For each person, the reason for being a performer is different. Some do it out of curiosity, some out of fun and some for personal reasons to stand up and act.

“[During] my freshman year of college, two relatives died on Saturday nights when I was living in the dorms,” Knight said. “My family was away and I had no connection until I got to the theatre. [It] helped my get through some stressful times.”

Others enjoy the challenge.

“I started doing theatre in high school and the teacher discouraged me and I fell out of it,” Muntsinger said. “It was during the summer after sophomore year in high school, that I joined ‘Rocky Horror.’ Without ‘Rocky Horror,’ I’m not sure I would have come back to theatre.”

Cast favorites

“I played Magenta, Trixie and Janet, Riff-Raff and Tranny,” Knight said. “Every time I put on the outfit, I feel sexier, more attractive, compelled to entertain.”

Muntsinger and Humphrey also reflected on their favorite roles.

“My favorite character is Riff-Raff the butler,” Muntsinger said fondly. “He’s creepy and gangly and he always looks so weird. I also appreciate the bald cap and friends I’ve known for a while didn’t recognize me. It’s amazing to do such a physical transformation.”

“I’ve played almost everything at least once,” Humphrey said. “Riff-Raff is my favorite because he’s such a creeper … Then I started playing Frank-N-Furter and that’s very empowering, I wouldn’t expect to feel so comfortable doing it. Playing Brad is more like playing me and I can play up the campy. We can just get up there and play any of the parts.”

The show goes on

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” plays every Saturday at the Regency South Coast Village Theater on 1561 Sunflower Ave., Santa Ana, Calif., at midnight, or go to midnightinsanity.org for more information.

Comments powered b
y Disqus