Student election for future ASI leaders begins today

PRESIDENT

Alyssa Gelinas

Year: Freshman

Major: Nursing

Current Position: None

Platform: Petition the state of California to freeze tuition for California colleges.

Bring Warped Tour back to Cal State Long Beach.

Lucy Nguyen

Year: Junior

Major: Business marketing

Current Position: ASI vice president

Platform: Fight for higher education. Make CSULB a more “green” campus.

VICE PRESIDENT

Melissa Molina

Year: Senior

Major: Nutrition and dietetics

Current Position: None

Platform: Bring healthier foods to the University Student Union. Encourage program director to host more entertainment events on campus.

Stephen Thomas

Year: Junior

Major: Business management

Current Position: Senator, College of Business Administration

Platform: Develop student advocacy. Improve campus through green initiatives.

TREASURER

Justin Lawson

Year: Junior

Major: Political science

Current Position: Secretary of system-wide affairs

Platform: Improve communication with student organizations. Make financial documents more accessible.

Michael Quibuyen

Year: Senior

Major: Environmental science and policy

Current Position: Senator, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics

Platform: Create new scholarships and sources of funding. Revise and utilize a new funding system.

USU BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Raveena Gill

Year: Freshman

Major: Biology

Current Position: None

Platform: “I will consider and investigate policies, budget and other decisions in full detail with respect to the comfort and benefit of the university students.”

Dalia Hernandez

No platform was provided by the candidate

Austin Metoyer

Year: Senior

Major: Not provided

Current Position: Chief of staff

Platform: “As chief of staff for 2010-11, I served as the AS President’s designee to the general Board as well as the subcommittees. Doing so has provided me with valuable insight to how Board of Trustees meetings operate and coordinate with various AS staff members.”

Asha Nettles

Year: Senior

Major: Not provided

Current Position: Chair of the USU Board of Trustees

Platform: “Upon compiling the budget every spring, I would make sure that student union fees are being used efficiently so that both properties continue to provide service that meets the needs of students.”

ACADEMIC SENATE REPRESENTATIVE

Noor Altoma

Year: Junior

Major: Sociology

Platform: “My goal is to get students to be better informed while having their voices be heard.”

James Suazo

Year: Junior

Major: English education

Platform: “I am running for Academic Senator because the student body needs a strong student advocate in our University’s Academic Senate, especially during this convoluted and rapidly changing financial climate.”

SENATORS

COLLEGE OF THE ARTS

Jessica Garcia

Year: Sophomore

Major: Theatre arts

Platform: “As Senator of the College of the Arts, I would actively oppose any future budget cuts our College might face in order to encourage our artists to create rather than worry about another financial burden.”

*Jorge Soriano

Year: Sophomore

Major: Theater arts and Chinese studies

Platform: “I intend to seek out these challenges and work towards solutions in hopes that we artists can continue to refine our individual crafts unhindered by concerns with workspace, equipment, patronage and the like.”

COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING

Jessica Avila

Year: Sophomore

Major: Not provided

Platform: “Whether it entails the college as a whole, or the needs of individual organizations, societies and students, I can and will take action to ensure that our college is not forgotten and lost among the rest.”

Zachary Bales

Year: Junior

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As Senator for The College of Engineering, my objectives would be taking a strong stance on budget cuts and other issues that affect students within the College of Engineering.”

Timothy Driscoll

Year: Freshman

Major: Not provided

Platform: “I am willing and able to battle for funding against budget cuts, especially in our current economy.”

Meron Reda

Year: Junior

Major: Electrical engineering

Platform: “As a Senator, I will address the following issues: Increased tuition, reduction of class sections, class cancellations due to low enrollment and lack of supplies and resources.”

*Jacob Rice

Year: Junior

Major: Electrical engineering

Platform: “I also want to continue in my push to have the tuition and fees that are paid by the students spent in ways that most benefit students, such as student-run projects and events that can provide networking opportunities and real world experience in technical fields such as engineering.”

COLLEGE OF NATURAL SCIENCES AND MATHEMATICS

Taylor McWilliams

Year: Junior

Platform: “As a senator, I will lobby for change. I feel that you should not have to stand up during a lecture because all of the seats are taken.”

Manuel Nieto

Year: Freshman

Major: Biology

Platform: “I would make every effort to make more class section available to all science and math majors.”

Alex Sanchez

Year: Sophomore

Major: Applied math for science and engineering

Platform: “I would make sure that all students have access to plenty of quality on-campus tutors who can help improve any deteriorating math grade.”

COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Jessica Corral

Year: Sophomore

Major: Not provided

Platform: “Ultimately one could say, as students, our immediate need is to have an amazing school year filled with learning and camaraderie with others. I would take action by making sure students are aware of all the special programs offered here on campus.”

Lizelle Felix

Year: Freshman

Major: Nursing

Platform:”As Senator of the College of Health and Human Services, my main goal is to unite all the differing majors by finding a common ground.”

COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS

*George Lam

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology

Platform: “As the Senator for the College of Liberal Arts, I will continue to promote advocacy to students.”

Robert Lane

Year: Junior

Major: Political science

Platform: “Some areas that I will work to improve the student body include: Creating greater communication and transparency on the actions of the Associated Students to the students they serve, improving the lobbying by [ASI] and working to improve communication of events, scholarships and any other programs that the ASI funds and organizes.”

Sagar Ramachandra

No platform was provided.

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

Joe Espeleta

Year: Junior

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As Senator of the College of Business, it will be my priority to take a
strong stance against further budget cuts and other issues that, in turn, would deteriorate the educational opportunities at CSULB.”

Te-Kai Shang

Year: Sophomore

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As Senator of the College of Business, my objective is: To provide more scholarships for both native and international students in order to help them out with the increase of tuition, to provide more internships and working opportunities for students to build up their skills in order to be hired by top employers or admitted in graduate programs, to provide more opportunities for students who want to study abroad in other countries and to provide review sessions for certain majors that require licenses, such as CPA for accounting.”

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Rosa Valle

Year: Junior

Major: Not provided

Platform: “My platform includes being president of Student Support Services Program, as well as being a member of CSULB’s Educational Opportunities Program, engaging in community service in Long Beach, and being in the process of completing CSULB’s Leadership Academy to enhance my leadership skills.”

SENATOR-AT-LARGE

*Ojaala Ahmad

Year: Not provided

Major: International studies

Platform: “My ideology as a leader is ‘Living to Serve Others.’ If granted the opportunity to represent you, my persistent aim will be to ensure that CSULB gets the most out of my leadership abilities.”

*Dylan Bishop

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business management

Platform: “To achieve this vision, my proposal is to advocate on current issues concerning tuition and other issues regarding higher education in California, while educating students on how to get involved in lobby efforts from The Beach to Capitol Hill.”

Jalen Black

Year: Freshman

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As Associated Students senator-at-large, my main goal would be to be the voice of the underrepresented students here on this campus. My next goal would be to take initiative on the issues that create difficulties for all students.”

Craig Hipp

Year: Freshman

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As the new senator-at-large, I would find inefficiencies in the school and appropriate the funds to satisfy the needs of the student body. I would help the student body worry less about their financial issues so they can focus more on their studies.”

Jason Neas

Year: Junior

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As senator-at-large, I would promote the welfare of the student above all else. I would encourage an environment of transparency and access in which students feel that they have a measure of control over the educations they have worked so hard to acquire.”

Uzo Umeh

Year: Junior

Major: Not provided

Platform: “As senator-at-large, my goals would be the college at large. Working with my school as a whole — faculty, administrators and, most importantly, the students — to find ways they could get more from their college.”

Trevon Williams

Year: Not provided

Major: Not provided

Platform: “Some immediate needs facing CSULB students are ASI representatives not representing the students, lack of classes that are available and students being left out in the decision-making process. I would address these issues by putting students first, listening to what my constituency has to say and being a loud voice to strategically fight for students’ needs.”

BALLOT MEASURES

Measure 1: Student referendum – “Bring Back 49er Football”

Shall reinstate football for competition in the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), as well as NCAA women’s crew, lacrosse and field hockey by a student activity fee established in the amount of $86 per semester, phased over five years. The vote would be nonbinding.

A “Yes” vote would signify a recommendation being forwarded to President F. King Alexander to establish a new mandatory student fee to reinstate football for competition in the National Collegiate Athletics Association, as well as NCAA women’s crew, lacrosse and field hockey.

A “No” vote would indicate no recommendation to Alexander.

Measure 2: Senate referendum seeking approval to amend the Associated Students Bylaws, Chapter 1

Passage would grant voting rights to two non-voting members — a faculty representative and a representative of the university president — on the ASI Board of Directors and allow designating an officer to serve as the secretary of the corporation. In 2009, an assembly bill passed requiring all members of a nonprofit corporation’s Board of Directors to have voting rights in the organization. Such an amendment would need to be submitted for student approval and approved by a two-thirds majority of student voters to go into effect.

A “Yes” vote would be voting so AS Bylaws will be amended as stated above to comply with the current California Nonprofit Law.

A “No” vote would be voting against bylaws to be amended to comply with the current California Nonprofit Law.

* denotes incumbents