International ‘PARK(ing) Day’ to transform Parking Lot 15

PARK(ing) Day, an international event set to kick off in 30 countries on Sept. 16, will find its way to Cal State Long Beach’s Parking Lot 15, where Long Beach community members, including those from CSULB, are set to transform the area into a one-day park.

From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., campus organizations, businesses, city offices and volunteers from all over Long Beach will collaborate in the annual event that turns parking lots into a place were they can enjoy a long list of activities.

Participants can expect recycled material sculpting, trashcan art and fitness programs as well as children’s activities.

“This is an ongoing, growing event with the potential to involve every student on campus, the faculty, organizations and departments as well as the community at large,” CSULB health and human services secretary Wynndi Dahlin said via email.

The Recreation Society is the brains behind the organization of PARK(ing) Day.

This is the third year CSULB has participated.

The university will work with the Long Beach community to create a bike path connecting each participating location. There will be seven PARK(ing) Day locations throughout the city.

“This year, our theme is Rec-Connect so we are plugging in those other sites so students are aware that the City of Long Beach is doing its part in creating awareness of open space in urban areas,” said Robert Skiles, Recreation Society president.

“By providing more of these open areas, it will send a ripple effect of a sustainable healthier lifestyle.”

Associated Students Inc. and the College of Health and Human Services student council recognized the Recreation Society as the best student society of the year in May.

According to parkingday.org, the event started in San Francisco in 2005.

The event’s official website also says the “mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat … at least until the meter runs out.”