Holocaust exhibit opens in University Library

After 20 years of traveling the world, “The Courage to Remember” Holocaust exhibit has returned to California, and will make a special debut in the Cal State Long Beach University Library today at 3 p.m.

Funded by the Foundation for California, the third floor will have a free public display of more than 200 original photographs from 1933-45.

The exhibit is from the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, and it shows a series of 10 stories that have been viewed by more than 20 million people in more than 35 different countries.

There will be speakers from the community at the opening, including Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster, Simon Wiesenthal Center’s Rabbi Adlerstein and Holocaust survivor Gerda Seifer.

The 42 panels were chosen to be in the school library rather than at the art museum on campus, so that the displays were more interactive with the public — not just pictures on the wall.

“The message is still very timely, hate crimes are still happening today,” Foundation President Rod Wilson said.

In addition to the full-color visual series of “The Courage to Remember” exhibit, three identical series will be traveling the state for the next 12 months.

The stories told will be focused on four major themes: Nazi Germany (1933-38), moving toward the “final solution” (1939-45), annihilation in Nazi-occupied Europe (1941-45) and liberation — building new lives.

“This exhibit serves as a reminder that the power is in all of us to make a difference in our community, school and city,” Wilson said.

The exhibit is free of charge and will be on display until Oct. 16.