8 dead in Seal Beach shooting, gunman IDed

Stefan Agregado / Daily 49er

Stefan Agregado / Daily 49er

Stefan Agregado / Daily 49er

Kasia Hall, City Editor

Eight were killed and another one critically injured, after a man opened fire in a Seal Beach nail salon at 1:21 p.m. Wednesday.

Six people — five women and one man — died on the scene and two were pronounced dead at a local medical center in what The Orange County Register called the area’s “worst mass killing.”

Initially, three victims were transported to the hospital, where two of the victims — a man and woman — succumbed to their injuries. The surviving woman is in critical condition.

The police have identified the suspect as Scott Evans Dekraai, 42, a resident of Huntington Beach.

Dekraai fled from the scene, Salon Meritage, on the 500 block of Pacific Coast Highway, but was apprehended by the Seal Beach Police Department shortly thereafter, according to Sgt. Steve Bowles.

Dekraai faces multiple counts of murder, according to Bowles.

Although police could not comment on Dekraai’s motive, local media, including radio station KFI, are reporting the man sought to kill his ex-wife.

“Within a minute of the shooting, our officers were following the suspect,” Bowles said. “We are very confident at this point we have the single and only suspect in custody.”

Bowles said no force was used.

The salon was busy at the time of the shooting, according to Bowles.

Bowles also said police recovered a weapon but would not comment on the make or the model.

When police apprehended the suspect, he told them more weapons were inside the vehicle.

“A crime of this magnitude is something Seal Beach is not familiar with,” Bowles said.

Bowles said the Seal Beach Police Department, a smaller agency, was being assisted by a number of others including the Long Beach Police Department.

According to The Los Angeles Times, bodies were scattered all over the nail salon after the shooting.

—————————————————————————–

Update:

Eight were killed and another one critically injured, after a man opened fire in a Seal Beach nail salon at 1:21 p.m. Wednesday

Six died on the scene and two were pronounced dead at a local medical center in what The Orange County Register called the area’s “worst mass killing.”

The man, identified as a white male, fled from the scene, Salon Meritage, on the 500 block of Pacific Coast Highway, but was apprehended by the Seal Beach Police Department shortly thereafter, according to Sgt. Steve Bowles.

Local media, including the Los Angeles Times, reported that eyewitnesses said the shooter was targeting his ex-wife and that the two were engaged in a custody battle.

“Within a minute of the shooting our officers were following the suspect,” Bowles said. “We are very confident at this point we have the single and only suspect in custody. “

Bowles said no force was used.

According to The Times, bodies were scattered all over the nail salon  after the shooting.

—————————————————————————–

Update:

Eight were killed and one is critically injured, after a man opened fire in a Seal Beach nail salon at around 1:30 p.m.

Six died on the scene and two were pronounced dead at a local medical center.

The man, described as a white male, fled from the scene, Salon Meritage, on 500 Pacific Coast Highway, but was apprehended by the Seal Beach Police Department shortly thereafter, according to Sergeant Steve Bowles.

Bowles said no force was used.

Although police could not comment on the age of the individual or his motive, local media including radio station KFI, are reporting the man sought to kill his ex-wife.

——————————————————————————-

Six were killed and another three  critically injured, after a man opened fire in a Seal Beach nail salon at around 1:30 p.m. this afternoon.

The man, described as white male, fled from the scene, Salon Meritage, on Pacific Coast Highway and Marivista, but was apprehended by the Seal Beach Police Department shortly thereafter, according to Sergeant Steve Bowles.

Bowles said no force was used.

Police could not comment on the age of the individual or his motive.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for Postings made on www.daily49er.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for Postings made on this website. Persons commenting agree to the Terms of Use of the website. If Postings do not abide by the Rules of Conduct or Posting Regulations as listed in the Postings Policy, the Daily 49er has all rights to delete Postings as it deems necessary. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech. This site also encourages users to make Postings relevant to the article or other Postings.