CSULB first-time freshmen applications increase 10 percent

The fall 2012 application cycle officially came to an end on Monday, resulting in a 10 percent increase in first-time freshmen applications from the previous year for Cal State Long Beach.

CSULB received 54,797 fall 2012 applications from future high school graduates, an increase of 5,033 or 10 percent in the past year and an increase of 15 percent in the past two years.

Valerie Bordeaux, director of university outreach and school relations, said that nothing was done differently this year in terms of recruiting more students.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of doing anything different,” Bordeaux said. “It’s a matter of academic standing.”

The increase in applications comes as no shock. Marie Alford, director of admissions, said that the applications for first-time freshmen have been steadily increasing over the past two years.

“Students and parents are looking for the best bargain,” Alford said. “We offer quality education for a great price.”

The university also saw an increase of almost 4 percent over last year in transfer student applications.

However, the number is still down .6 percent from two years ago when CSULB closed the spring transfer student application cycle prior to fall 2010.

In total, CSULB received 75,132 applications from both first-time freshmen and transfer students interested in attending the Long Beach campus in 2012.

These numbers also include international student applications.

Preliminary enrollment targets will not be available until after the governor’s budget proposal is released in January.

Although the application pool increased, the number of students who will be granted admission may not.

“Unfortunately, we have a state legislature that will only allow a small fraction of these students to attend our campus because they would rather incarcerate than educate California’s citizens,” President F. King Alexander said in a press release.

CSULB will continue to honor the Long Beach Promise, which states that preference will be given to applicants from the Long Beach School District who meet the minimum admissions requirements.