Faculty use textbook service to save student money

Students aren’t the only ones searching for the lowest priced textbooks – faculty, like economics professor Lisa Grobar, are looking too. 

In 2010, the Cal State University started the Affordable Learning Solutions Campaign in an effort to make textbooks more affordable for both students and faculty.

Students whose professors use textbooks listed on the CSU’s website can download an electronic version of the text for free and a print copy will be available at a reduced price.

Grobar has been an active user of these textbooks since 2009.

She uses a textbook that is offered through the CSU website. Students can download her textbook for free or purchase a print copy for $40.

“The feedback among my students has been generally very positive,” Grobar said. “I like that students can download an e-version for free or purchase a low-cost paperback version if they choose to do so.”

Currently, it is a faculty decision to select textbooks available through the CSU website. 

Freshman math major Ranil Weerackoon said he is cautious about the campaign.

“I wouldn’t mind having a free e-book for my general education courses,” Weerackoon said. “However, I need my math books to be tangible so that I can write in them and work out the problems more easily.”

Grobar said communication between students and faculty is needed for the campaign to gain popularity.

“Students need to let professors know if they’re having trouble affording textbooks,” Grobar said.