ASI Judiciary repeals handbook violation ruling

Kasia Hall, City Editor

The Associated Students Inc. Judiciary voted 1-5 to repeal the Board of Elections ruling against John Haberstroh and Jonathon Bolin for violating election handbook rules, in their hearing Thursday.

On Monday the Board of Elections ruled 3-2 that presidential candidate Haberstroh and vice presidential candidate Bolin were guilty of sliding campaign leaflets under the doors at the dorms.

Vice presidential candidate Priscilla Covarrubias petitioned against Haberstroh and Bolin. Covarrubias said the violation occurred on the third floor of the Cerritos dorms. Covarrubias also lives on the third floor in the Cerritos dorms.

While two of Haberstroh and Bolin’s campaign workers live in the dorms, Bolin said both live in Parkside and do not have access to the Cerritos dorms.

ASI public defender Alfred Pappas said the photo evidence taken by Covarrubias and presented in the Board of Elections hearing was insufficient to prove them guilty.

Haberstroh said that if the ruling was not repealed it would set a “dangerous precedent for all future ASI elections.”

“Anyone can just acquire campaign materials from their opponents and place them in compromising situations,” Haberstroh said.

After the ruling Covarrubias said it was still clear that Haberstroh and Bolin violated election handbook rules.