Vietnam war vet talks life in CSULB creative writing graduate program

Kevin Chidgey, a student in Cal State Long Beach’s masters of fine arts creative writing program, has proven that it is never too late to continue your education.

Chidgey, a retired electrician, is in the process of obtaining his master’s degree, after more than three decades of working in the private sector.

Although he focuses mostly on fiction, Chidgey has written about his childhood and experiences in the Vietnam War.

“Writing is a good way to explore and review what you think you know about life,” Chidgey said.

Chidgey, a Vietnam War veteran, decided to become an electrician after his release from the Marines in the early 1970s.

“I never had the free time to write as an adult,” Chidgey said. “I had to make time for my career.”

Despite the restrictions his career put on his writing, Chidgey said he always enjoyed writing.

Chidgey cites his experience of meeting a retiree who was content with “doing nothing” as one reason to pursue his education after such a long career in the private sector.

After he decided to go back to school, Chidgey attended Cal State Bakersfield, where he earned his bachelor’s degree. Chidgey was then accepted into the MFA creative writing program at CSULB.

“I’ve learned so much, it’s such a great program,” Chidgey said.

As a student of the MFA program, Chidgey is currently enrolled in 15 units of graduate-level course work. After completing his sixty units next year, Chidgey will receive his master’s degree.

“Writing is interesting,” Chidgey said. “The more I write, the more I want to write and the more difficult it becomes.”

Chidgey said he hopes to publish his works sometime in the future. One of his goals is to publish work about the life of blue-collar workers, a group he identifies with strongly.

“As to the process of writing, it’s off and on,” Chidgey said. “The good thing about taking classes here is that I have to write everyday.”

Chidgey will be speaking, along with other graduate students in the MFA creative writing program, at the MFA reading installment on Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. The event will be held at the Manzanar Gamboa Theatre at 1321 E. Anaheim St.

“The one thing I find beautiful about the program is that everyone wants you to succeed,” Chidgey said. “They’re all rooting for me here.”