New Domino’s Pizza to open in University Dining Plaza

This article corrects the future location of the new Domino’s Pizza on campus.

Fans of Domino’s Pizza may soon rejoice. A second Domino’s Pizza will open in place of Quiznos in the University Dining Plaza, according to 49er Shops.

Domino’s is expected to open this fall, Rosa Hernandez-Henderson, Director of Communications and Human Resources for 49er Shops, said.

“Domino’s is already a partner with us in the Pyramid,” Hernandez-Henderson said. “They are huge supporters of athletics here at Cal State Long Beach.”

According to Hernandez-Henderson, Quiznos’ lease expired at the end of the 2011-12 school year, leaving a vacancy at that location.

Domino’s will be able to utilize the pick-up window outside of its location. Pizzas will be made available for pick-up there, according to Hernandez-Henderson.

Many students at CSULB who are fans of Domino’s have expressed enthusiasm for the new opening and for the choice between two on-campus pizza locations. Sbarro’s is currently located in the USU next to Wells Fargo.

“I feel it’s a good idea to offer more variety and options,” Ranil Weerackoon, a sophomore mathematics major, said. “It’s similar to the fact when we had Subway and Quiznos on campus.”

Some students, like sophomore microbiology major Brittany Daws, said that Domino’s can survive with another pizza place nearby.

“I don’t think Domino’s is another Sbarro’s,” Daws said. “I don’t normally eat out, but when I do, I eat Domino’s more so than Quiznos.”

Hernandez-Henderson said that Domino’s has been an active member of the CSULB community. Domino’s also operates a stand at Blair Field, where the Dirtbags play.

“Domino’s location has a lot of student traffic,” Hernandez-Henderson said. “When we posted that Domino’s would be coming on our Facebook page, it was well received.”

Some students, like sophomore business administration major Jennifer Hunt, are excited about Domino’s affordability.

“I think it’ll be cool to have Domino’s on campus because their pizza is really affordable,” Hunt said. “I never really went to Quiznos anyway.”

It remains unknown how many student workers Domino’s will hire. Hernandez-Henderson said there will likely be a mixture of student workers and outside workers.