CSU appoints new chancellor

Timothy P. White will take on his new role as the CSU Chancellor later this year.

CSU

Kasia Hall, Editor in Chief

Timothy P. White has been named the Cal State University chancellor and will replace Charles B. Reed at the end of December.

White, who currently serves as chancellor of the University of California, Riverside, was approved by the CSU Board of Trustees in a closed special meeting held yesterday in Long Beach.

“I am humbled to have been chosen to lead the California State University system at such a transformative time,” White said in a press release. “As chancellor, I look forward to engaging with faculty, students, staff, campus presidents and CSU trustees, along with the communities we serve, as we advance this vital system of higher education for California’s future.”

White, 63, will serve as the seventh chancellor of the CSU system and receive an annual salary of $421,500 plus a $30,000 supplement from CSU Foundation sources, the same pay the current chancellor receives.

White has served as chancellor of UCR since 2008 and was previously the president of the University of Idaho. A first generation college student, he received his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in the CSU system, at Fresno State and Cal State East Bay respectively.

CSULB President F. King Alexander said in a statement that the Board made an “excellent choice” in selecting White.

“I am completely confident in his ability to serve as the new CSU chancellor,” Alexander said. “I’ve been very fortunate to work with Tim on many important issues impacting California.”

Associated Students, Inc. President John Haberstroh said he felt optimistic about the CSU’s choice of new chancellor. He said White’s accomplishments, such as the establishment of the School of Public Policy at UCR, showed that White was “civic-minded.”

“Hopefully the new chancellor will at least try and consult students and faculty before making decisions,” Haberstroh said. “Hopefully he is more transparent in terms of the decisions that are made.”

While the California Faculty Association said they looked forward to working with the new chancellor, they also expressed concern on the decision process.

“While we wish that the CSU Trustees had been more transparent in making its selection, we are, nevertheless, eager to work with the new chancellor to rebuild the California State
University to serve our economy, democracy and all the people of California,” CFA President Lillian Taiz said in a statement.

Reed announced his retirement in May, after a 14-year tenure with the CSU.