MyCSULB crashes for four hours

English professor Ron Strahl found himself looking for a master’s list of classroom numbers from the English department this morning so that he wouldn’t get lost on the first day of the semester.

“I didn’t know where my classes were,” Strahl, who was not able to log onto MyCSULB from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., said.

Strahl was one of the many on campus who had trouble signing onto MyCSULB this morning. After receiving an “unusually” high amount of website traffic, MyCSULB and the Cal State Long Beach homepage experienced outages for more than four hours yesterday, CSULB Director of Service Management and Operations Byron Jackson said.

“The site was neither hacked nor was it undergoing routine maintenance,” Jackson said. “This service degradation was unplanned.”

According to Jackson, the outage first occurred at 9:25 a.m. and ended at 1:35 p.m.

“This type of outage is rare,” Jackson said. “We do our best to ensure access to mission critical campus systems such as MyCSULB.”

Aside from getting a list of class numbers from MyCSULB, Strahl found that he wasn’t able to keep track of how many students were in his classes.

“I need [MyCSULB] immediately to download my rosters,” Strahl said.

Aimee Trelkeld, a freshman computer engineering major, visited both the Horn Center and the University Library in an attempt to log on to MyCSULB.

“I wanted to add an extra class, and I was worried it was going to fill up so I was kind of freaking out,” she said.

Jackson said that no other systems were impacted this morning and an internal analysis of options and possible changes are being conducted.