UPDATE: LBPD identifies woman struck by vehicle on Monday as Elizabeth Ramos

Cal State Long Beach student Elizabeth Ramos is in critical condition after being hit by a car at the corner of Bellflower Boulevard and Beach Drive on Monday afternoon, according to the Long Beach Police Department.

Ramos was hit while crossing Bellflower Boulevard at approximately 2 p.m., according to LBPD Public Information Officer Nancy Pratt.

The LBPD was at first unable to identify Ramos because she was not carrying any identification when she was hit. Douglas Robinson, vice president for student services, sent an email to students Tuesday at 6 p.m. asking for assistance in identifying the female pedestrian. 

LBPD Public Information Officer Marlene Arrona said Ramos was crossing a marked crosswalk when a 78-year-old driver in a 2003 Honda Civic ran a red light. The driver, Ali Vahdatiasl, was interviewed at the scene, and police released him pending further investigations.

Detective Sirilo Garcia from the LBPD said Vahdatiasl was not under the influence of alcohol at the time of the incident. He said Ramos had been transferred to St. Mary’s Hospital.

Traffic diversions and blockades caused considerable delays and detours on the one-lane university roads on Monday. The LBPD set up roadblocks between Atherton Street and Anaheim Road for several hours while police and CSULB parking officers diverted university traffic down Earl Warren Drive.

The LBPD is asking anyone with information to contact the Accident Investigations Detail at (562) 570-7355. 

City Editor Ryah Cooley and News Editor Angela Ratzlaff contributed to this report.