SRWC helps students unlock their personalities

Gym-goers’ true colors will soon be revealed in the front lobby of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center through a personality test assessed by the Beach Balance office.

The True Colors Personality Assessment will be offered on Feb. 25 through Feb. 28 in the front lobby of the SRWC, where Beach Balance will utilize iPads to conduct the tests for free. After testing students for three days, the test results will be available on the SRWC website.

Sean Del Rossi, associate director of Beach Balance, said that although the personality testing will be offered for a limited time, Beach Balance may offer it as a permanent free service if enough interest is shown.

The True Colors Personality Assessment was used during Associated Students Inc. student government training, according to Del Rossi.

“It’s a good assessment of how people like to work,” Del Rossi said. “The last thing we would want is to have is four quarterbacks and no offensive players.”

The tests are conducted through a series of questions that gauge characteristics and ethics of each individual and focus on social tendencies, according to Paul Leaf, a graduate student who works in the Beach Balance office.

Each characteristic gives the tested student a certain amount of points, totaling to a number that corresponds with the individual’s “true color,” may it be orange, green, blue or gold, according to Leaf. The test can find a student to have one of four personality types: spontaneous, conceptual, compassionate or responsible.

Del Rossi said that the personality assessments are meant to be basic and situational in order to determine how a group of people will interact in a productive setting. He also said it is likely for students’ colors to change over time as their social or professional demeanors mature.

Beach Balance has also used the personality test in recently hiring seven new staff members, who each took the personality test as part of their training and proved to be a colorful group, according to Del Rossi.

“We wouldn’t want to be all one color, or else we could end up butting heads,” Leaf said.

Leaf said the personality assessment will be one of three events that correspond with Beach Balance’s mind, body and spirit theme, in addition to a mirror exercise to promote positive body image and a Yoga fest to invigorate the spirit.

“There’s more to a healthy lifestyle [than physical fitness],” Leaf said.

According to Del Rossi, the Beach Balance office is in the process of revamping, taking on duties previously carried by Counseling and Psychological Services and Student Health Services, such as nutrition assessments and counseling. In addition to the personality assessments, 22 nutrition assessment counselors will be providing free nutrition counseling at the SRWC beginning Feb. 25.