Burglaries result in push for building security

A push to improve security for on campus buildings is gaining momentum after a few winter break burglaries left several student organizations short on cash and hardware.

During winter break, several offices in Engineering buildings 3 and 4 were broken into, including the office of the Associated Engineering Student Body, which oversees all engineering student organizations on campus. In total, more than $200 in cash and a laptop were stolen.

Associated Students Inc. Senator Alex Sanchez said the building lacks sufficient security.

“It seems that the doors are old, and there’s tricks that you’ll be able to get in,” he said.

Sanchez said he spoke with Mike Berg, facilities coordinator for the College of Engineering, and Berg suggested that a locksmith go through the buildings and test the strength of the locks on the doors. Then necessary adjustments, such as replacing or strengthening locks, could be made.

Sanchez said the move is a necessity, especially now that some student organizations are hesitant to even leave supplies in their own offices.

“We’ve asked the organizations not to leave any money or equipment behind,” Sanchez said. “They used to leave their money boxes there. They’re just trying to fundraise and do things the right way, and someone comes in and steals their piggy bank.”

David Nuon, president of the Association for Computing Machinery, was the first person to notice the break-in. During a routine trip to the ACM office located in EN-3, he said he noticed the door was unlocked and open.

Nuon said he looked through his office, noticed that a moneybox was missing and decided to check the security footage. When he did, he saw a man taking ACM’s money and a laptop.

“The locks are very insecure,” Nuon said. “I know those locks are old, and I know people have known the locks are old.”

Nuon said adding security cameras to offices for student organizations, like ACM, was discussed last year, but most organizations opted not to install them.

Even after the burglary, Nuon said he isn’t sure that security cameras inside the offices themselves are necessary.

“It’s a physical security issue, not a matter of surveillance,” he said.

Sanchez said he is unsure when a locksmith will come to campus or what his visit will entail. He also said there have been no break-ins since the December burglaries, but student organizations have been told to take all their things home.