Bob Rodgers was dedicated to CSULB, an active volunteer

Leslie Kennedy, director of Instructional Technology Support Services, said her favorite memory of Bob Rodgers is from when he injured his foot.

“After a foot injury … he should have stayed home nursing, [but] he insisted on playing Santa Claus at the children’s holiday party,” Kennedy said. “He took pride and pleasure to serve others in this way.”

Bob Rodgers, media production specialist for ITSS at Cal State Long Beach, died last week. He was 56 years old.

Rodgers served at CSULB for more than 30 years and was dedicated to the university during his years of employment, according to Kennedy. He was also an active volunteer in the community.

Kennedy said that Rodgers was a very giving person for many organizations. Solomon Martin, a close friend and co-worker of Rodgers, said the same.

“Bob and I have been friends for over 40 years,” Martin said. “This would have been both of our 35th year working at this university.”

Martin said he has enjoyed working with Rodgers throughout the years.

“He was very dedicated to this university as a whole and was passionate about helping individuals,” Martin said. “He was a very good and reliable person. He was always there for someone who needed a friend.”

Rodgers specialized in providing audio services for special events and worked at multiple events, including commencement, Special Olympics Southern California and CSULB’s annual Native American Pow Wow, according to Kennedy.

Rodgers also provided technical consultation to students in the McNair Scholars Program and dedicated his time to staff council activities, such as facilitating the Cherishing the Children Toy Drive for disadvantaged children and playing Santa Claus at the Cherishing the Children Holiday Party, Kennedy said.

According to the CSULB website, Rodgers earned a bachelor’s degree in geography and a master’s degree in educational psychology, as well as teaching credentials.

Rodgers’ cause of death is unknown, and he has no survivors. There are no plans for a service at this time.