New shuttles roll onto campus

New shuttles rolled onto campus this fall, and for the most part, students say they are happy with the changes.

Professional Parking, a Long Beach-based company, was recruited this summer to get students around campus after Cal State Long Beach’s contract with the previous provider, Silverado Stages, Inc., expired.

Among the most noticeable changes between the old and new shuttles is the arrangement of seats. The new shuttles offer seating along the vehicle’s perimeter instead of the standard front-to-back seating offered in the old shuttles.

Carina Taylor, a sophomore animation major, said that although she believes the new seating arrangement will not be popular with many students, because a lot of students don’t like to stand, she is satisfied with them.

“It is a lot more efficient, less congestion,” Taylor said. “I’m actually able to use it efficiently when I’m trying to get to a class from [Parking] Lot 14 to upper campus. The layout makes it seem like it holds fewer people, but there is less people sitting, and more people fit standing.”

Anel Ruiz, a sophomore computer engineering major, said that one feature she is most excited about in the new shuttles is the added safety of hanging straps students can hold onto while standing in the shuttles.

Other students who are new to the service, like junior mechanical engineering major Alberto Salinas, said the shuttles are a great service especially when the weather is hot and they don’t want to walk from one end of campus to another.

Freshman studio art major Rebecca Lau said she has also had a positive experience with shuttles so far.

“The shuttle service is really helpful especially for an art major, as we have to carry a lot of stuff around,” Lau said. “It’s pretty comfortable when I get on. It’s usually not as packed, but usually there are seats. The drive isn’t that long, so it’s not terrible to stand.”

Students more familiar with the campus, like senior kinesiology major Amanda Passi, said although they are pleased with the new shuttles, they aren’t yet completely sold on the changes.

“It seems nicer than the last one; it seems like there are more seats, which could have to do with the fact that they are angled differently,” Passi said. “[But] I don’t think I have used these new shuttles long enough to say there is a big difference.”