Sororities, fraternities pedal into War of the Roses

The sound of energetic music and spinning stationary bikes filled upper campus Tuesday as fraternity Pi Kappa Phi kicked off their annual Pedal for PUSH philanthropy event.

The bike-a-thon, which saw Pi Kappa Phi members riding three stationary bikes in two-hour shifts for 48 hours, was the first event of Pi Kappa Phi’s 4th annual War of the Roses, a week-long charity competition between sororities.

Last year’s War of the Roses raised $6,300 for Push America, the fraternity’s philanthropy, and the goal this year is to surpass that with $7,000, said William Quanstrom, Pi Kappa Phi philanthropy chair, who planned the week’s activities.

“This was my first year planning [War of the Roses] so it was stressful, but the turnout so far [for Pedal for PUSH] has exceeded my expectations,” Quanstrom said. “I have enjoyed the experience so far and [have] been grateful for the generosity of people. We still have over half the competition to go.”

At the bike-a-thon, baskets were set up in front of each bike to collect donations from passersby for Push America, which spreads awareness about and raises money for people living with disabilities. Sorority members participated in the Pedal for PUSH Event by gathering donations for the War of the Roses competition.

After Pedal for PUSH ends on Thursday morning, War of the Roses will continue with a sorority dance competition, Dancing with STARShield, Friday night at the University Student Union. Field Wars — which will feature multiple events, including tug-of-war, jousting and an obstacle course — will also take place on the lawn outside the Walter Pyramid on Saturday.

Throughout the week, five competing sororities will continue to raise money for Push America by soliciting donations and ticket sales to the events.

Sororities will also earn points throughout the competition for attendance, coach participation and winning. At the end of the week, the sorority with the most points wins the War and receives 10 percent of the total donations earned throughout the week, which they may then donate to a charity of their choice.

Paulina Nguyen, a sophomore pre-business major and member of Delta Zeta, said War of the Roses is an inspiring and unifying event for the Greek community on campus.

“We all work really hard to get everything ready and all the sororities as well as other fraternities [to] get involved to help each other out,” Nguyen said. “Pi Kappa Phi really puts a lot of effort raising money to help people with disabilities.”

The overall goal of War of the Roses is to raise money and awareness for people with disabilities, according to Jake Hoyt, an undeclared sophomore and director of public relations for Pi Kappa Phi.

“Instead of just asking for money, we want to spread the message of our organization,” Hoyt said.

Pi Kappa Phi has a long history of philanthropic work for people with disabilities, beginning with the founding of Push America in 1977, according to senior communications major Cory Carrasco, who is also the scholarship chair and philanthropy sub-chair for Pi Kappa Phi.

“We are trying to change the stereotype of fraternities as just being about partying and get people to stop and listen about this cause,” Carrasco said.

According to Carrasco, many of the students he saw at Pedal for PUSH seemed to be receptive and willing to help, which he said is a positive forecast for this weekend’s potential turnout.

“I am proud to be a part of this campus and to see students genuinely interested in the cause as well as getting involved,” Carrasco said.